Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I'm being taken to court comment I made on Facebook,

Customer Question

Hi I'm being taken to court for a comment I made on Facebook, the comment didn't mention any names of people or company's but one person who's had a history of trouble making has said it's about him and wants to get damages for his reputation. If found guilty what penalty could I expect?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Has he actually raised a claim?

JACUSTOMER-lkrol218- :

Hi I think so as I have a letter before action.

Customer:

Ok is it from him or from a solicitor?

JACUSTOMER-lkrol218- :

How likely is it that he could win without any names being mentioned?

Customer:

It is unlikely that he could unless he can easily be identified and it is obvious it is him.

JACUSTOMER-lkrol218- :

It's from a no win no fee law firm.

Customer:

Damages would be limited to his losses resulting from the statement in the event that it is successful.

Customer:

Ok have you responded?

JACUSTOMER-lkrol218- :

The comment could relate to him but it could also relate to someone else.

Customer:

Ok but have you responded to the solicitors letter?

JACUSTOMER-lkrol218- :

No not yet I'm waiting for advice from somewhere.

Customer:

tOk well you need to deny the allegation and say that there is no evidence that the comment was about this individual and in any event there is no loss suffered by the individual. You should state that if they pursue the claim you will emphatically deny it and apply for your legal costs.

Customer:

If they go ahead and raise a claim I would suggest you instruct a solicitor to assist with defending the matter.

Customer:

Please let me know if there is anything further you would like to know about this?

JACUSTOMER-lkrol218- :

Thank you I think that's all.

Customer:

No problem, I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer and do come back to me in the future if you need to.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry its me again what if I can't afford a what if I can't afford a solicitor how difficult would it be to defend myself?

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi you would need to try to familiarise yourself with defamation law. A citizen's advice bureax should be able to help you.