31090051

A property was left in a will to the grandchildren, on the

A property was left in a will to the grandchildren, on the proviso that the deceased's 2nd husband could live there, the property could only be sold once he moved out. He stayed 16 years, so the value of the property has risen, but it's still under the inheritance tax threshold.
Do they have to pay capital gains on the property, and if so is it the executors or the beneficiaries who are liable fro that tax?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
There's no capital gains tax issue as the beneficiary is treated as entitled from the date the life tenancy was extinguished.
In other words there is no CGT charge on property that was subject to a life interest.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.