75100385

, I am trying to fill in a N181 form as a defendant and some

Hi, I am trying to fill in a N181 form as a defendant and some of the questions are difficult to answer
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : What is the value of the claim and what are you finding difficult ?
Customer:

Hi, the amount of the claim is £20 083 and it is brought against us by a subcontractor who failed to complete a project for us, but believes that he should be paid

Customer:

I am not sure how to answer some of the questions on the N181 form

Customer:

Also, I have been asked to file proposed directions, and I do not understand wht they mean by this

Customer:

I need to have this information to the Court by Wednesday, so I am very anxious to get this resolved in order that I may post it tomorrow

Alex Watts :

Which questions are you stuck with please?

Customer: I think that I have worked most of them out now, but the part I am stuck on is filing proposed directions. I have read many articles on this and it looks to me as if this is information which the Court should give me, not the other way around ?
Alex Watts :

Yes don't worry about that. Just put in that box standard fast track directions.

Alex Watts :

Unless there is anything specific you want.

Alex Watts :

That way the Court will list the matter and allow for:

Alex Watts :

- standard disclosure

Alex Watts :

- inspection

Alex Watts :

- expert evidence (if applied for)

Alex Watts :

- questions to experts

Alex Watts :

- reply from experts

Alex Watts :

- exchange witness statements

Alex Watts :

- file pre trial checklists

Alex Watts :

- list the matter for trial

Alex Watts :

If it is a £20k value it should be fast track which means it is heard in one day.

Alex Watts :

Therefore you should ask the Court for standard fast track directions.

Alex Watts :

Is there anything else you are stuck with or can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

Is there a specific box that is correct for requesting standard fast track directions? the box in section I seems to be the logical place. It is written on the Order that we need to file proposed directions (whether or not agreed).

Customer:

Do I put something along the lines of, as we are acting as litigant in person, standard fast track directions are suggested?

Customer:

Also, question B2 states "is there any reason why your claim needs to be heard at a court or hearing centre" which does not seem to make a lot of sense. Looking back at some examples of older forms, it would seem that it should say "any SPECIFIC court" etc. Is this correct?

Customer:

Also, this case is has arisen because the Claimant (to whom we had subcontracted a specific task) failed to complete his job, which resulted in us being dismissed from the project. However, he still believes that he should be paid for the excessive time he took to try to complete the task, despite, as we now know, he did not have the necessary credentials. This resulted in our system being removed and replaced by others, purely down to his failing. There is therefore a real possibility that we will receive a claim from the company for whom we were working, for the costs associated with this, which we would then pass on to our subcontractor. Should I make any reference to this at this stage, or will this be a separate issue?

Alex Watts :

I would just write you are Litigant in person, standard fast track directions propsoed.

Alex Watts :

B2 - usually if the Defendant is an individual it will be transferred to their home Court. If they are a business then its transferred to Claimant's home Court

Alex Watts :

You dont need to make reference to the credentials now, that will be a matter of evidence in your statement.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Thank you Alex, that is most helpful

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply