75100385

, I recently used the online delivery service "shiply" and

Hi, I recently used the online delivery service "shiply" and had an awful experience with one of their drivers. There was a mix up with the collection address (my fault) but this then escalated into abusive texts/emails from the driver. I asked him on several occassions to stop and leave me alone threatening to go to the police if he continued. He then put feedback on the website saying i deliberately gave him the wrong address etc. I put his feedback on saying it was a mistake and it was my fault but that the driver shouldn't be involved in a job that involves interacting with humans (should have put general public with hindsight). He then continues to abuse me by email calling me a racist and a lot of other strong accusations. I agreed to take down the feedback just so he would leave me alone (it came down after 48 hours) and he is now threatening to take me to court to prove a point. This guy already had 15/16 negative feedbacks on the website and i obviously have all the emails which are horrid.... including abusing my family. Does this person have a case? thanks
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what is it you want to achieve?

Customer: Hi, all I want to do is for this guy to leave me alone but he is threatening to sue me for defamation of character. He is basically saying I made out he was an animal and I was being racist which I blatantly wasn't. This guy has serious issues and I have all the emails to prove that. He has also stated he has been to court on 8 occasions. He said he wants a public apology and compensation or he will be taking it further. I get the feeling he does this a lot and is just after money. All the abusive emails he sent were also copied into a third party (shiply support email). All I want to know is if this guy has any legal stance? I only gave my opinion on the feedback and it was based on the abuse I had already received (along with a number of other users on the site by sounds of it). I took the feedback down as I just didn't need the hassle so any harm if any was minimal.
Alex Watts :

Has he suffered 'serious harm' at all?

Customer: I doubt he has suffered serious harm but how is that defined? He obviously knows how to play the game and said he has "hurt feelings" and didn't bid on any new jobs because of my feedback and how it made him look.
Alex Watts :

Then you do not need to worry.

Alex Watts :

Not only does the statement have to be false then the person needs to have suffered from serious harm

Alex Watts :

If they have not suffered serious hard there is no claim. Further proceedings would have to be issued ion the High Court. It will cost him around £15,000 to take the matter to Court, does the person really have money to burn?

Alex Watts :

Customer:

ok thats great. Am i right in saying that if he approached a lawyer about this they would not proceed as he cant prove serious harm?

Alex Watts :

Correct

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

perfect, thanks for your help