LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

, I am the owner of a leasehold property in a small block

Customer Question

Hello, I am the owner of a leasehold property in a small block of flats (5) I am on the ground floor, today I spoke to a neighbour whom informed me that he was told a year ago that the roof needs to be replaced. I have not recieved any notifications of this. On my lease it says the following that subject to the lessee payment to the lessor of the service charge as set out the lessor will maintain renew replace and keep in good and and substantial repair and condition
The main structure of the building including the main walls foundations and the roofs of the buildings with its gutters and rain water pipes and the window frames and window units in the building. Are you able to clarify my position please?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

The basic position is that for a repair like that, as long as it is actually necessary, you freeholder will serve a notice in advnce about the work and notify you of the amount required for the work. There will be a procedure by which you can obtain information or challenge the sum sought. The leaseholder can not do the work and bill the otherleaseho9lders, only the landlorrd/freeholder can.

Customer:

Have you received any notices or has the work been started yet?