Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

We were sharing an office and staff. One party took post and

We were sharing an office and staff. One party took post and documents belonging to the other and is refusing to give it back. The lawyer acting for him is also involved but refusing to return the originals or copies. Can I complain to the law society?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
Is the other party a solicitor?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No he is a director of a separate business where I was also a director at the time. I am the sole owner of the second business which has had the post seized. His motive for doing this is alleged FCA issues, but that is rubbish.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
The Law Society will only regulate solicitors.
It is actually a criminal offence to take someones post. I think this issue would be best sorted out by sending him a solicitors letter. The letter can highlight the offence being committed and threaten that you will seek and injunction plus and costs or damages incurred.
This has to come from a solicitor because once they see you have been properly advised it will give the matter added gravitas to show that you have been taken seriously.
The alternative if you just go straight to the police and say that they have been stealing your post. http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/communications_offences/#an08
Are your businesses completely separate other than the office and staff?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I said in the question, I have already used a lawyer to request the post back. His lawyer's response has been to refuse the return and my question is specifically about whether his lawyer who obviously appreciates the situation is now open to complaint to the law society for failing to return the post

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Are you separate trading entities? Separate limited companies?
Thank you - absolutely you can report this solicitor - you can report them to:
(i) www.sra.org.uk/
(ii) www.legalombudsman.org.uk/
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ