75100385

Dear Ombudsman, My children and I were publicly humiliated

Customer Question

Dear Ombudsman,
My children and I were publicly humiliated by a Car hire company by making us look like criminals. I'll summarise it as much as I can.
I hire a car for filming a Music video within Europe and paid £2,500.00 for insurance and access fee for a week hire and, at least so I was told. In total I paid £3724.97 for the hire. On our way to Holland for filming we were stopped by the Police at the check point and they said because the car was not insured for Europe that they have been authorised to seize the car, so they seized the car and we were taken away like were criminals and thereafter they made us unload the car in the presences of others, it was the most humiliating day of my life.
Despite this predicament caused by his action, I lost +£693.00. Thereafter he penalised me for the days the car was held at the Police station, by deducting £1040.02.
His reason was that I was not allowed to leave the Uk with the car, so therefore I bridged the contract. At the long run, technically I was still in The UK.
I said to him, you should have told me that I was't supposed to do that then I would have turned back, and to crown-it-all you didn't tell me that initially. I paid £2,500.00 for a week insurance While the brand new price of the car is not more than £50,000.00
Please advice.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what is it you want to achieve?

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

Hi Alex,

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

What I want to achieve is first: retrieve all the money I waisted on the trip. 2. Get compensation for the public humiliation brought upon my children and I.

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

I am a Single parent and that humiliation caused a lot of damage in my family. We've all have issue in trusting the system, the Police and Organisations. As of that 2012 holidays it was ruined for us. I want to be compensated for that.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

This man abused his power and punished my children and I.

Alex Watts :

Indeed.

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

So my question is how much can sue him for regarding public humiliation and emotional damage?

Alex Watts :

For that will be hard. You would have to show you have suffered serious harm and then issue proceedings in the High Court. If you took it to trial because it is High Court you are looking at least £15,000 in legal fees as this is a specialist Court

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

So this means that means that I may just loose the whole money.

Alex Watts :

If you lose then you would lose £15,000 and have to pay the other sides legal costs too

Alex Watts :

But if you keep it a small claim limited to the refund etc that may get you more and it would be a small claim

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

Meaning? please elaborate..

Alex Watts :

Any claim for £10,000 or less would be a small claim

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

so if I keep it on the money I wasted. I have chance?

Alex Watts :

Then you can do it yourself and if you lose you only lose the Court fees paid out

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

What are my chances of loosing, if I keep it in small claim?

Alex Watts :

Well litigation is never certain, but I think you have a decent chance

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

Because in-total I lost about £1700.00

Alex Watts :

Indeed so you should pursue that

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

Ok, I will give it a go, and keep fingers crossed...

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

have a good day!

Alex Watts :

Great. Can I clarify anything else for you today?

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

I wouldn't say that I am happy with the out come 'knowing what I expected'.

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

So I'll say Good.

JACUSTOMER-788qbsph- :

My rating is (Good)

Alex Watts :

Thanks, ***** ***** click the good rating please?

Alex Watts :

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

I just wanted to let you know that I was at The Court house today and I was told that such cases as my are done better through letter or the internet and not in court directly, emerging my surprise when I had printed loads of papers (20 pages) for nothing and traveled in a long hold up.

Is there any other thing I should know before waisting the little I have.

You'll have to forgive me if I am sounding frustrated (because I am frustrated) I did not anything wrong and I just keep waisting money because of listening to supposed professionals. You can see where I am coming from "I hope".

I have paid over £40 for this information at least I should a good info.

And I rated your service "good" All I want is a good service.

Is there anything else I need to know as a novice?

I'll be much obliged.

Many Thanks!

J. Nwabuisi

All you need to do is issue the claim at this stage.
You submit your evidence later.
IT is just a claim relating to your losses.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I told the lady this and she said we don't do that anymore, thereafter gave me 3 sheets of papers and a booklet.

However, I what I want to know is, if I can claim interest on my money, because I wrote him about this before and said "You have no right to keep my money with you against my will. Every single-day that passes the dead-line without my money in my account. you will pay an interest of 8.5%.
I hope I have made my self clear".

What can I expect if I pursue this? Does this count as an evidence?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It will be my pleasure to rate service 5 star/ excellent, if I am pleased. Please I need to know. I am developing a feeling like I am doing something bad by hurting somebody and I don't want to feel that.

Thank You!

Jude

Happy to help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You for your effort.

Jude.

Thank you for the question!