12826847

Please could you help me my stepdaughter owes me £4.000 from

Customer Question

Please could you help me my stepdaughter owes me £4.000 from three years ago when I helped her with rent arreas she has not given me anything since the scecond week off borrowing the money I live in Wales she live in England .
Also my daughter owes me £2.000 about the same number off years I give them the money my mum left me when she passed away .
What can I do I have asked them both but nothing
Is she working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't think so but my daughter is
You can sue them both at the small claims court. It is cheap enough to issue. You can do so here
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
I don't think there would be any problem with getting a judgment in your favour. The difficulty would be getting the money. That is always easier to do from a person in work who can pay the award like your daughter. Even if she doesn't pay you can always seek an attachment to earnings order.
The issue will be getting the money from your step daughter. Unemployed people are always very difficult to recover from.
However, you are better off with a judgment than without. If you don't get one then this will just carry on for time immemorial and after six years the debt will be time barred so she will get away with it.
It is probably better to write to her giving her 28 days to pay and making clear that in default you will sue. Sometimes that works and sometimes not but it is free to do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have wrote to both off them they say did not get letters they were registered. How much would it cost to go to the claim courts through you please
This is a question and answer site. We do not issue claims against people.
But it would be probably about £200-£400 to sue them at the small claims court if you represented yourself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/