LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

We rent a managed house by a letting agent. There have been

We rent a managed house by a letting agent. There have been problems but to be fair of not being too clean on move in but they have been dealt with quickly. We have been asked for landlords contact details and they have been refused as the agent says they have updated landlord on the issues and they manage as the landlord doesnt wish to be involed and is an older person. I believed that we didnt have to give the landlords details as they are able to contact the agent and deal with issues, can you advise. Also concerned as we receive E mails every day about minor ridiculous matters and quite often legally incorrect . However I am not sure on this one, advise would be appreciated
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am having trouble understanding the question. Are you relatives of the landlord? What sort of complaints have been made? When does the tenancy expire?

Customer:

The tenancy started two weeks ago. They are not related in anyway to us. Aside from numerous minor issues raised that I have dealt with as the manageging agent. The tenant now demands the landlords details. He is elderly and recently lost his wife and it would be unfair on this landlord to have to deal with these tenants. They are the most awkward tenants I have dealt with in 15 years. They have asked for the landlords contact details. I have currently refused the ladnlords details (they have his name) as I am very concerned they will harrass this landlord. Do I have to provide all contact details for the landlord, they have all my details as the manageing agent and all matters have been dealt. FYI the level these tenants are at are that they insisted on the pink copy (tenants copy) of a gas certificate when they had been provided with an electronic version and also a photocpy version of the same. I dont wish to get this wrong but they are virtually E Mailing us every other day with issues of such minor nature. So simply do i HAVE to provide landlords details or the fact they have his name and our contact details suffice.

Customer:

The complaints are of dirty house, cat hairs in places, some brick rubble at side of house (been there 10 years) demanding copy of insurance certificate for house insurance, stated we had to give them electrical certificate for house (incorrect) and dozens of E mails demanding a screw in plug socket tightened up as slsightly loose. ALL matters have been dealt with within days of demand but still it goes on

LondonlawyerJ :

I think you do have to provide the landlords full name and address.

LondonlawyerJ :

It sounds to me that in the absence of an express condition to the contrary the things they have complained about are covered by caveat lessee and they have to put up with them. I it is a 6 month tenancy why not serve the notice now?

Customer: I don't want to fall foul of eviction in retaliation , which whilst not law is possibly heading on law books , certainly will be getting rid ASAP for the six month period
LondonlawyerJ :

No such law, not sure how that coudl be defined in any event if it is proceediings after the end of the tenancy

LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.