75100385

If damage has been caused to a bathroom floor due to sub standard

If damage has been caused to a bathroom floor due to sub standard work how do I approach the landlords agent during the sign out?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : How much is it to fix please?
Customer:

We are presuming they are going to want o charge in the region of 150 to 200

Customer:

Please note the general state of the property is shabby as confirmed by the company who do the inventory... dusty curtains, peeling paint etc... They are stating they want the bathroom floor redone by the tenant. This is a family house, the agents sent a plumber to fix the shower in the second bathroom, he turned up and never returned or answered any calls, the agent did not address this when questioned. ( I have a long email trail of failings from the agent, including having no one to look after the tenant whilst the lady was on holiday.) They ended up with 5 year old twins and two adults having to use the one bathroom with regular visits from two teen age daughters... The laying of the lino was sub standard because the edges round the bath was not sealed correctly and quite a bit had no sealer at all, he lino stopped at the edge of the bath and did not go under the side panel which was incorrectly fitted. I have photos of all of this and I got our contractor to take a look and he was appalled by the quality of work.

Alex Watts :

Are you the tenant? Is this rented?

Alex Watts :

Was all the problems picked up on this inventory?

Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve?

Customer:

I am representing the tenant.

Customer:

It is rented

Customer:

the inventory was partially incomplete but also included things that did not exist

Customer:

I want to ensure the tenant receives all of he deposit

Alex Watts :

So the damage, is the Landlord saying that is the tenant?

Alex Watts :

Or are you saying its because of the sub standard work or fair wear and tear please?

Customer:

I am saying he work was sub standard as the seal around the bath was incomplete

Customer:

the land lord is blaming he tenant

Alex Watts :

Ok - and the Landlord is trying to claim how much?

Alex Watts :

I assume the deposit is protected?

Customer:

the deposit is proected

Customer:

the landlord is talking about 200 +

Alex Watts :

£200 ?

Alex Watts :

And the Landlord is trying to do what, deduct that?

Customer:

he says he will get a quote from his contractor but estimates 200

Alex Watts :

Ok - well I don't think you need to wory

Alex Watts :

If the deposit is protected then the Landlord simply can not just take £200 from it without permission

Alex Watts :

Then it would be a dispute through the Tenancy Protection Service

Alex Watts :

The TDS will decide whether this is damage caused by the tenant or otherwise

Alex Watts :

If you have photos etc and evidence that it was not caused by the tenant then you don't need to worry

Alex Watts :

Further if the TDS does not find for the tenant then you can still issue a small claim for the £200

Alex Watts :

But the onus will be on the Landlord to show it was beyond fair wear and tear

Alex Watts :

It will also have to show that the work done was right

Alex Watts :

So I do not think you need to worry about this.

Alex Watts :

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

the check out happened two weeks ago, we have not had a copy or any contact from the landlord regarding the deposit, the end of tenancy meter readings or any idea of any repairs and costs, what can I do next?

thank you