29905560

Accepting a job offer

I have a job offer from an audit firm which I have to accept or reject in the next day or so. At the same time, I am 98% sure I will receive a better one from a large financial services institution. I have already handed in my notice at my current employer. My questions are as follows (this is really urgent, please do reply within the next 12/18 hrs):

1) If I accept the offer from the auditing firm and renege on it later (could only be a week or so later), does it constitute breach of contract? What are all the possible follow-on effects from a legal point of view?

2) Is there a difference between an employment contract and an offer of employment?

3) How likely is it that i) the audit firm will seek legal action (and what kind would it be), and ii) reneging on this offer would jeopardise my potential other employment offer?

4) There was a headhunter involved in finding the offer at the audit firm; does that change any of the above answers?

5) Given we are talking about employment in the financial services sector, would reneging on the offer have any implications or consequences in terms of "character" or otherwise impair fitness for any professional roles?

6) How would you assess the risk of such a move (e.g. 1-10), and how could I mitigate it?

I am trying to "play by the book" in every way I can, but unfortunately found myself in a bit of a corner now. Your advice will be greatly valued. Thanks.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

To answer our specific queries:

Technically it would be a breach of contract but the employer can only pursue you if they have suffered actual losses. For example if they had paid recruitment fees to employ you, or they were left in a position where they needed you to start and had to spend money getting a replacement on short notice. In reality such claims are rarely pursued though, only for high-paid executives where the stakes are much higher.

In this case - no, there would still be a contract in place if an offer as made which you had accepted. An employment contract just defines the more specific terms that apply but a contract would still be in place.

See answer to 1) above. There won’t be a direct effect on the other job, the audit form cannot influence the other employer’s decision.

4) There was a headhunter involved in finding the offer at the audit firm; does that change any of the above answers?

Yes, again see answer to 1) – they could pursue you for the fees they spent on that.

Not really, also this would only be an issue if you are relying on a reference from that employer and you won’t need to as you would not have been employed by them to include them as a referee so this should not have any long-lasting effects, it is just a matter between you and the company.

Difficult to state as no one knows the employer’s intentions and what their losses could be and also how serious they are about pursuing them – it can vary greatly from one employer to the next, so that is almost impossible to predict. To mitigate any adverse effects you should give them as much notice as possible before the start of the employment so that they have the chance to mitigate their losses too and that would then reflect on what they can pursue you for, should they decide to go down that route.

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether you need further help or if I can close the question? Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'