12826847

I am a caretaker of private flats which have been given the

I am a caretaker of private flats which have been given the right to manage.
1 of the directors (who is a resident) and I have never hit it off.
He has an agenda to get rid of me by.
Harassing me for the last year, accusing me of things that are not true.
Also talking to other residents saying owners in the past have sold their properties because of me. That is with in the last week.
Again untrue and I have proof of that.
Also on one of our disagreements we both reported the issue to the police.
Me for harassment and him saying I assaulted him( this is a lie).
The police just said keep away from each other.
Due to the harassment and telling lie about me.
I would like to take this person to court privately for slander or harassment.
Can I do this.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes please continue.
I would like to expose this person.
Regarding his lies
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Sorry for the delay. Has anybody warned you of the cost of a defamation action? Are you able to fund it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No.

Depending on the cost I can fund it.

Winning the case could I claim for harassment, stress and costs

No.
If they contest it then it would cost between £10k-£25k or thereabouts.
Is that still an option?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But out if my league.
Any suggestions on what I could do?
Defamation isn't really accessible to most people. Even if you won probably he couldn't pay the award. That is why all these accusers get away with it.
There is the option of suing for civil harassment. There is quite helpful case law on that point now that makes clear that making allegations can form the basis of harassment. Waxman is currently the leading case. That case does involve more direct acts of contact though and the index complaint was that Mr. Fogel issued a claim against Ms. Waxman and CPS refused to charge him on the basis that wasn't harassment. She judicially reviewed their decision and the finding was that issuing against a person was capable of harassing.
There is an older case though that considers whether or not alleging and litigating alone can amount to harassment. It was decided on other facts in the end so there is no clear ruling but the Judges didn't say that it was ridiculous to suggest that you could harass a person using the law.
I have to say that I think the clear answer to the question of whether making vexatious claims is harassment must be that it is. It is the clearest instance of harassment I can think of.
There is still cost in suing for harassment but it is much cheaper than defamation. The only issue is that you will need more than one allegation.
It might be an idea to send off a letter before action as that is very effective.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice