12826847

Jo, I was arrested in November 2013

Customer Question

Hi Jo,
I was arrested in November 2013 for Historical Sexual Offences I was bailed on several occasions, my last bail being on 31st December 2014. However at that time I was informed by the investigating officer that I am no longer on bail. He is just waiting for an update from the CPS ....when he has been updated he will let me know at that an appointment will be made should that be required.
Then he goes on to say I am no longer on bail there is no future fixed date for us to meet unless he arranges one and not to to make contact with the 2 boys who made the allegation as the investigation is still live and ongoing.
Do you think I should ask for an update now as over 2 months has elapsed or should I just leave it. Also it is extremely confusing that I am no longer on bail and the allegations were made by the boys saying I abused them when they were 7 years and 10 years of age respectively in 1999 and 2001.
Mick
I would leave it alone. You don't want to be reminding them of the need to look at your case. Reminding them won't do any good anyway. The reason for delay is that there is a deluge of these complaints and CPS are buried under them. There is nothing they can do about that ultimately. Also, you don't want to be the subject of holding charges which is usually their default position.
I realise that you want a resolution on this as soon as possible but doing nothing is by far the best thing to do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

What I find it annoying is that there is no time limit now, by taking me off from bail there is no need on their part to hurry on with the charging decisions its worse then being on bail.

My solicitor has however advised she wants to know as they need to close their file from their end and as 2 months has elapsed. She would like to make to contact with them.

Also is it unusual of them to take me off from Bail as these are serious false allegations.

Mick

They have probably just taken you off bail because they have been criticised for keeping people on bail forever and a day.
If your solicitor thinks it is safe to make contact then follow that advice. She has had vision of the case and i have not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

So I take it the investigation is finished which is from the date of first Arrest December 2013 .....so the decision is from the CPS once the file has passed on to them from the Police how long does it take for the CPS to make a charging decision.

Also would the police look at my financial position as I have been made bankrupt as a Director.

KR

Mick

There are currently no limits upon how long CPS can take. There has been criticism of that but I am not sure it can be a matter of legislation. Some cases are more complicated than others and take longer to investigate and also all CPS will do is bring holding charges to get around time limits.
Last year there were delays of up to one year. it is getting better but really only because we have turned a corner of these stupid hysterical allegations.