12826847

Recieved a notice from Surrey police re driving at 54mph through

Recieved a notice from Surrey police re driving at 54mph through a variable speed limit of 40mph between jnc 13 to 14 on M25. The letter implied that I might be put forward for a driving awareness course to which I assumed I might be put forward for. I duely sent of the form and recieved today a fixed penalty of £100. Q1 Why such a high fine and how can they charge so much.You can be doing 50 in a 40 and get £60 Q2. Have never been on an awareness course and have a clean licence for over 5 years. So why imply this is what I could be attending and then dump this on me. Q3. Can I appeal and ask for an awareness course and challenge the size of the fine. Q4 I'm sure I was travelling at 54mph because everyone else was, plus the signs kept changing during my journey round the M25 between 40 to 50 to 60 to clear.The signs were put on more for junction control as there were no roadworks in place. Q5. Call me synical but this sounds like Surrey hitting their target for gaining money out of the motorist.
POB
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I have any legal challenge to the fine and why was I not offered a driving awareness course.Why is the fine so much higher than conventional speeding offences.

If you mean the fixed penalty then that is not higher than conventional. The fixed penalty amount is £100 and has been for some time.
You do have a challenge and that is to refuse the fixed penalty and go to court but that would lead to higher costs if you do plead or are convicted.
I cannot say why they didn't offer the awareness course. It might be that is doesn't run in the area or that you have 3 points already or that they think the speed is too high for it to be appropriate. The decision to offer a course is entirely a matter for the police. It is not a legal right to demand one I am afraid.
You can write back asking for the course. Anybody can ask anything in the UK. They will not agree unless they have made that offer.
I am very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.