Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

child's first british passport from overseas

Customer Question

Hi - we have applied for child's first british passport from india. It's 16 weeks now still have not heard anything from liverpool HMPO. How can we speed up process so we can get quick result?

Our application is straightforward one as both parents are british via naturalisation so our child is eligible for british passport. Liverpool HMPO would not reveal status of application and all they say is that they are carrying on routine security checks. Processing time on website is at least 16 weeks and we are at 16th week now. How can HMPO expedite our application?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola - Yes I am still looking for an answer.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
On what grounds do you wish to expedite the application?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alice,

We are suffering badly due to family separation. Wife managing alone 2 small kids in India so we are desparate for family reunion. Apart from above I don't have any other reason to expedite. I am not sure why HMPO is taking so long to deal with the applications and it appears to be that they don't care about family emotions. I was wondering if involving UK solicitor would speed up the process?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I can understand your frustration.
There is no process to expedite a passport application even for the reasons you have outlined.
There is still a back log of passport applications and this may be the reason why there is a delay.
You or a solicitor could contact the passport office but it is highly unlikely to speed up the process. There is no legal basis on which to demand the issue of passport sooner.
My only suggestion is to consider making an emergency passport application to leave India. Usually this is only is a passport is lost or damaged but is worth looking into:
https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Emergency travel document - not sure if it works for a new born baby as she never had a passport before.

On a different note one of the solicitors on the internet quoted me a figure and said that they would help us in chasing up application. Would that work at all?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like a waste of time. How much does he/she want?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

£600

Also is there no option for us other than ETD as this may not work?Do we just have to wait and suffer this separation?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
It's not for me to tell you how to spend £600 - but it seems a lot of money for somebody to make a couple of calls or send a few letters chasing up an application. You could save this money and chase them up yourself - apart from anything else you're more likely to get a sympathetic ear than a lawyer. Other than an emergency travel document there is no other solution available as far as I can see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how unfortunate - also you mentioned about backlog - do you know how much it is and how did u know about backlog?thanks