12826847

HII took some money from work and felt guilty and reported

Customer Question

HI
I took some money from work and felt guilty and reported myself and now suspended. I have been called for interview with option to resign or face disciplinary commitee. I am willing to pay back all I took.Can i still face prison
How much did you take and what is your role please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I stole £12000 and have offered to pay it all back my role was assistant accountant
Have you told them the amount?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not yet was suspended pending investigation but requested them to use benefits towards extinguishing the amout taken
That would be an extremely good idea. Don't make any more admissions.
If they do discover that £12000 is stolen then I'm afraid you are at risk of custody. This is theft from employer and this is a reasonable amount.
It isn't the highest and it did come to attention because you put your hands up which is always a point in mitigation. There isn't really anything like actually beginning to repay though.
Either way, there is no way that custody can be ruled out but there are things you can do to reduce the chances.
One would be not to admit anything else. They might not be able to prove this. It is amazing how often corporate accounts are woefully inadequate. Obviously they will be able to prove some form of theft but the amount is the issue.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I offer to resign as suggested and in my offer letter request that they liquidate all amounts due to them from proceeds of my pension and request that the matter ends therei ie request that this not be referred to law enforcement agencies
Yes, you can.
You can agree anything you like with them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much is there anyway tips to couch the letter or resignation and offer to liquidate and still request that the matter ends there the organisation is a religious one please help as I'm near or close to a mental breakdown as any publicity will damage my spouse who is into charitable work and any association with my name will impact on her I'm willing to face up to my sins of commission but she deserves no shame
have they made a report already?
If so, do not make any offers as that would be an offence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not yet they have not made any report yet
Just make an offer to them verbally then. You are perfectly entitled to do that.
Of course, they may make a report anyway. This is not a full and final settlement offer. You cannot stop them making a report.
In terms of tips, either they will accept it or not. Probably they would prefer to get their money back than see you go to prison and never get it back so that is a point in your favour. Just make the point that you will only be able to pay them if you work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jo they accepted resignation but asked me to detail how I did it and how much it appears they do not have full details .sorry been quiet had suffered a mental meltdown still can't think straight .should I expla in detail or I will be opening myself to incriminating myself. They said they will still think about prosecution although they have agreed to take my terminal benefits
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo did you reply to my last question dated 13 March
I'm not sure what you wanted to know about this ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wanted to know if I should detail to them how I did it and how much it appears they have no idea how much my only worry was if I do will I be incriminating my self given they have accepted my resignation
To whom?
Your employers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Employer want detail
Are you still working there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No resigned and accepted
I wouldn't even think of discussing it with your employer then. They have no jurisdiction over the matter.