29905560

My wife and daughter work at Meadowhall shopping mall

My wife and daughter work at Meadowhall shopping mall in Sheffield. Because they are members of staff they are not allowed to park in Meadowhall shopping car park. They are told to park on the surrounding streets or 20 miniutes away in the bus car park which has no street lighting or CTV coverage. But staff are issued with a rape alarm in case they are attacked. Please advise if they are allowed to do this
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. That in itself is not unlawful although it would depend on the circumstances. Employers have a duty under law to ensure the health and safety of their employees and conduct risk assessments where the risks are likely to occur. They are then required to take reasonable steps to minimise those risks. Let's say they provided a car park then they can take steps to deal with any reasonably foreseeable risks such as to provide lighting, security etc. however it does not mean that they have to provide parking on site or any parking at all. It is the employees responsibility to get to work and how they do that is up to them. There is no law that requires an employer to provide car parking facilities to employees even if there is a car park on site or if there is a risk to employees getting to work. This is not part of the job and the employer would not be liable there if anything happens. So in this case they will have limited rights unfortunately. There is simply no obligation on the employer to provide parking or to ensure that any parking they use outside of work is safe.
Hope this clarifies your position even though I appreciate it may not be the answer you were hoping for?