12826847

I loaned a friend my car and now I am being charged with outstanding

I loaned a friend my car and now I am being charged with outstanding parking fines and a speeding event. The parking fines I have had communication with the council involved and they had set up a payment plan for the friend to pay. Now all of a sudden it appears to have come back to me. The speeding I informed the police about and I'm re chasing. Could I have advice on where to go to attempt to get this situation resolved. Kerry griffin
If you are the registered keeper of the car then you are liable for the parking fines. You can appeal them on the basis effectively that you were not the keeper at the time but you do need to raise fairly strong evidence of the loan and you must use the appeal's procedure. From what you say, you have not and therefore you are liable. You could sue your friend essentially on the basis of breach of contract to cover the losses relying on the argument that it was an implicit term in the agreement that you had that they would comply with the law.
The speeding matter is not your problem as long as you responded to the S172 request naming the driver and that person is insured. They will chase the correct driver if you have done so.