75100385

there. I have an issue that happened to me in the United

Customer Question

Hi there. I have an issue that happened to me in the United States. I was driving a rental car and unfortunately through my fault burnt the clutch out. I had taken out insurance, but the rental company says that insurance does not cover mechanical failures that were my fault. They have said I have to pay around 3500 dollars. I am back in the UK now, and don't want to pay them so much money, so my question is if I don't pay what can they do to me legally. Surely if I just don't pay them there is nothing they can do? Also, how should I deal with them in email correspondence, should I say as little as possible?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this?
Alex Watts : For now please let me know whether they have a credit card for you?
JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

Thanks. Yes they have got one, but I made sure to cancel it and I have checked they have not taken any money out of my account. Obviously there would have been terms and conditions that I agreed to, but I'm in a different country now and if I can avoid paying then that would be ideal.

Alex Watts : Ok then you don't need to worry.
Alex Watts : they can't charge you card. I am pretty sure the agreement you signed said they can take you to court in the Usa only.
Alex Watts : there is unlikely to be a clause that says they can sue you in the UK.
Alex Watts : therefore you don't need to worry. You don't need to pay it.
Alex Watts : But I wouldn't rent another far from them otherwise they may try and charge you!
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

Thanks a lot for your help so far, will be a big relief if you are right. A few follow up questions:

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

1. Is it worth looking at the terms and conditions to check whether they can take me to court?

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

in a UK court I mean?

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

2. How should I deal with email correspondence from them, should I just ignore it or tell them I won't be paying?

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

3. I will be going back to the USA quite a bit over the next few years. Once I'm in the USA is there anythign they can do?

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

4. The particular rental company is called Relay Rides and it is more of a middle man between owners and people hiring does this change anything?

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

5. Maybe you could take a quick look at the terms and conditions to check for me

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

I will then leave excellent feedback thanks, ***** ***** so far, really appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

https://relayrides.com/policies/terms-of-service

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

Those are terms of service thanks

Alex Watts :

1. Yes I would. In reality its governed by USA law

Alex Watts :

2. Yes you can do that

Alex Watts :

3. No

Alex Watts :

4. No

Alex Watts :

5. Yes its USA law

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-9zhezcgb- :

Yes that is fantastic, I will now leave excellent feedback, thank you so much.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have left excellent feedback. Just one more question. If in the future I become a permenant resident in the US would the company be able to pursue me then?

Yes they could then.