75100385

used car dispute

I just sold my used car today. Buyer is now claiming that car door had accident damage work done and he now telling me that he will inspect the car independently and take action on me. Is it possible?

I have receipt which states that he bought as sold.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Did he have the chance to inspect it? How old is the vehcile and how many miles has itmdone
Alex Watts : It done?
Customer:

Yes they had oppurunity to inspect it. It is 2007 reg with 52000 miles. The buyer took the car this morning and claims that r

Customer:

the damage work on the door was not told to them. The door is fully repaired and the car has been on the road for a while. His argument is i should have told him about. He did not ask and i did not say. After sales they are now claiming i sold wrong. They did not inspect when given a chance.

Customer:

Alex are you their

Customer:

They want to inspect after the sale and make a claim on me. I sold the car with valid MOT, road tax and I had insurance until this afternoon on it.

Customer:

The cost of sale is £3100

Customer:

What should I do

Customer:

They want to do inspection on Monday and take it from there. Car is currently with them as I have sold it and they have paid for it. They claim that they pursue me for inspection charge and I should pay the money back. Please advise.

Customer:

Hi Alex

Alex Watts : Did he ask you if there was any work that had been done or issued with it?
Customer:

Not before sale

Customer:

I offered them test drive and he did not take it. The asked whether we had service history which I said yes and shown the service booklet. They were happy with it when they took it. They drove home and took it to valet and the guy has told them that that door has been repaired for accident damage. They are now asking me whether I had a accident in writing. I did not respond back as I am unclear on my legal standing. The car had a door damage which was repaired professionally.

Customer:

The car is roadworthy and you will not be able to spot it unless it is a professional. The issue for me is they did not ask whether any body work has been done and I did not disclose. Now they are claiming it is a wrong sell.

Customer:

The did not inspect and pick this up before the sale. The car is roadworthy on every aspect and it does not have any issue on it.

Customer:

I am not clear how correcting a mistake on the car aesthetically and selling it is wrong.

Customer:

He has signed a receipt with as sold as seen

Customer:

The question for me is, should I now tell them that I did do the repair on the door before they do independent inspection or leave it until they do it then deal with it. Do they have right to make a claim on me?

Customer:

Should I have to deal with them at all.

Alex Watts :

Has he asked if it has been repaired?

Alex Watts :

Ie now?

Customer:

Yes, he is asking now whether I had a accident on it. They keep claiming I have sold the car which is not safe to drive.

Alex Watts :

Then you should declare it now.

Alex Watts :

If you were not asked before then you needed not to declare it

Customer:

When you say he asked if it has been repaired, he did ask after the sale. He wanted me to write to him through email that I did not had accident. He asked whether I had accident on the car and I said no. We did not had accident in that car. Someone has banged the door which we repaired. We don't even know who created the damage.

Alex Watts :

If he could have inspected it and did not, could have driven it and did not then that is not your fault.

Alex Watts :

He can not claim his money back.

Alex Watts :

This is an old used car which could have been inspected

Alex Watts :

It was not - that is not your fault

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

After the sale does not matter, it is what was asked BEFORE sale which is important

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience