UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

. My question is about a Services Agreement. The customer

Hello. My question is about a Services Agreement. The customer is paying me after I have delivered the services. What is covering me legally to ensure I get paid?
(I cannot charge upfront because it is on a no win, no fee basis.)
Laura
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

If you are not paid after you have delivered the services, you may make a "breach of contract" claim against the client in court and ask for a court judgement against the client to pay you the money due to you.

You may make money claims online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk for amounts up to 100,000 pounds.

There is a risk that someone is unable to pay or refuses to pay even with a court judgement against them which could mean you throwing good money after bad money.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - is there any other way of setting up the contract so that I could avoid this? I am wondering if the only way is to have them pay at the end or if there is another option I haven't thought of.

Specifically, I am applying for grant funding on the client's behalf and I am being paid a commission on a no win, no fee basis. Thank you

I am afraid unless and until you have the money in your hand, there is no guarantee that you will get your commission. One would hope that your client does the honourable thing and pay you.

You could ask your client to ask the funding body to pay you your commission amount directly when paying out the funding so that your client receives the funding net of your commission.

Hope this helps