UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I applied UK trade mark in order to print some T shirsts

I applied for a UK trade mark in order to print some T shirsts etc under the name BOSSMan Ting! Since then Hugo Boss have decided that as the BOSS part was emphasized it conflicts with them. I suggested amending my applicatation to BOSSMANTING! as the meaning was more important than the spelling. They refuse to accept it and want me to withdraw my application and sign away any rights to pursue anything similar in future.
I wish to know where I stand and if I have a case to pursue.
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
A trademark, trade mark, or trade-mark is a recognizable sign, design or expression which identifies products or services of a particular source from those of others.
It is assumed that Hugo Boss has trademarked the word “BOSS” for use in clothing. As is the case, any application you make to register the word “BOSS” will be challenged by Hugo Boss as there is a real chance of confusion being caused in the monds of ordinary members of the public who may not be able to decipher which product belongs to whom.
If you were to register the name “BOSS” in a different class, you are more likely to succeed, however, attempting to register the mark for clothing will result in potential confusion.
If you challenge Hugo Boss, in the event they are successful, you will be liable to pay their legal fees.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.