How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70711
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was caught speeding at 98 mph in April last year. My case

Resolved Question:

I was caught speeding at 98 mph in April last year. My case is tomorrow, I received the witness statement from the police but not the calibration certificate. Is the police able to prosecute without this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I am afraid they are.
They always were able to carry on without calibration certificates.
The case of Peake is very damaging on that point though effectively establishing that even if the calibration is not done at all they can still rely on it unless the court finds it 'unreliable' which is hard to show.
Technology can fail obviously. However, there is always a presumption that it has not.
If you are hoping to rely on the absence of a calibration certificate then I'm afraid that will fail.
You can, of course, challenge the reliability of the device by putting them to proof. The risk is costs if you lose.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you