13262538

I have recently seperated from my wife. We have the following

Customer Question

I have recently seperated from my wife. We have the following assets:
Property 1 mortgaged jointly - approx £30,000 equity
Property 2 mortgaged jointly - approx £30,000 equity
Property 3 mortgaged jointly - approx £10,000 equity
We have the following debts:
£55,000 credit cards.
£15,000 in my wifes name or joint
£45,000 in my name or joint
Spanish Property £50,000 - in my name only
We do not want to sell the properties. She lives in property 1 - i am paying the mortgage for property 2 which is rented out - i live in property 2. We have two children under 18 who live with her - i pay regular maintenance.
The sticking point is over property 3 - she believes she is entitled to part of the poperty. I believe she is not because my debts form the marriage amount to £95,000 whereas hers amount to just £15,000 so ofsetting the debts against the assets makes this fairer - even though she is still getting the 1st property which in essence makes my share smaller - i am happy to do this because the children live with her.
Am i right in my thoughts or should the third property be shared and the debts not some into the equation. I need advise please....neither of us really can afford long legal battles. Regads Andy
How did the debts arise?
How long were you living together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The debts were during married life - the property in spain was purchased about 10 years ago (an is subject to being repossed - albeit the process has not started as yet - spain is slow as they do not want the debts shown on their balance sheets in terms of economic figures) The credit cards debts occured through holidays, living expenses and helping support a business that myself and my wife had - so a combination. We were living together for 22 years as a married couple.

Let me know if you need any more. Regards andy

So what is the actual equity in the Spanish property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare - the spanish property mortgage is 50,000 and the property is probably worth less than that so at best there is no equity and at worst in negative - the mortgage has not been paid for around 18 months so is likely in negative with the payments that have been missed - also there is a debt of around 2000 for community fees. regards Andy

What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are both finishing off our degrees this year so most of our income is grants and loans - i do work for myself - incomes as follows.

My wife lives with someone and has done since about 4 weeks after splitting up - her income is about 10,000 a year and her partner about the same.

I live on my home and my income is roughly 10,000 a year.

regards Andy

Will you be released from the mortgage on the property she lives in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not that i am aware of - the banks have been informed who is now paying the mortgage for each of the properties and they appear to have accepted this for the moment - but it cannot be remortaged into separate names...so i suppose the short answer is no i will not be released officially. The aim would be to have a seperation agreement once we agree the split of assets and then contact the banks officially with this. Regards Andy

Given that she is cohabiting why can she not remortgage the property and release you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Her partner was bankcrupt i believe and we were on a debt management plan for the last 4 /5 years so credit history/score makes this highly unlikely. regards andy

Can you release her from your mortgage (this will help with the negotiations)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From which mortgage. ? Would that be for properties 2 and 3. If so then probably not...as this would require a remortgage I believe and again my credit history is poor. The Spanish mortgage is just in my name. As far as I am aware from the enquiries I have made...the banks would require a remortgage to remove a name and given the credit history this is a non starter. The advice I was given was then to sort out a separation agreement and inform the banks of this...and then use this agreement towards the divorce when that happens. But we need to agree verbally obviously beforehand as a starting point. I understand that the financial situation with regards ***** ***** makes it complicated...I need to know if in principal my main question at the start is correct or if not what would be the probable outcome if this was to go to court. The only possible other complication is I am due to get a 15 year police pension in 10 years time when I am 55. Regards andy

Can I assume that you were together for those 15 years?
Does your ex have a pension?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes we were together for those 15 years - my ex does not have a pension. Regards Andy

I am still a little confused with the debts - which are crucial to the matter
There are debt sin your ex's name of £15,000 which she is paying, and debts in your name of £45,000 - is that correct?
You are then counting the Spanish mortgage as a debt making your debt £95,000 - have I understood that correctly?
I ask because from what you say the Spanish property may simply break even
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare hopefully this will clarify.

The credit card debts in my ex's name £15,000

The credit card debts in my name £45,000

I see what you say about the spanish property - there is a mortgage on it in my name of £50,000 - this mortgage has not been paid for about 2 years so at the time of the split there would be a deficit of about 10,000 because of mortgage payments owed and also the community fees. (realistically to sell in the market at the time would require selling at less than the 50,000) - sorry for the waffle - in short the debts therefore after ofsetting its value at the time would be about 10,000.

making my debts roughly £55.000 in total.

thanks Andy

What earning capacity do you each actually have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean - but i think you mean what potentially could we earn after finishing our degree - if so thats difficult to answer - we were both intending to become teachers so i suppose £20,000 to £30,000 each?

regards Andy

Yes that is exactly what I meant - so thank you
What income did you each have when you were last in employment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For me

2005 to date -self employed - approx earnings 8 - 10,000

1994 to 2005 - ploice officer - £35,000 upon leaving

1989 to 1994 - Air Force - £11,000

For my ex

apart from early in the marriage - when she earned approx 11,000 a year she has mainly worked part time earning a couple of hundren pounds a month. She was part of the business 2005 to date so the earnings of 8 - 10,000 was split on th tax return.

Andy

Thank you that is fine - it was a matter of trying to assess the position both past and future.
The starting point for division of all the assets is 50/50 - so on that basis yes your ex is entitled to half of the equity in the third property.
However as you correctly point out you will then be left with debts of £55,000 and your ex with only £15,000 worth.
Set against that however she does have the care of the children and she has no pension whilst you have a good one.
On that basis - and assuming there will be no pension sharing order giving her half of the equity in property three is in fact a reasonable deal.
You and your ex can negotiate this using Family Mediation (www.familymediatiationhelpline.org.uk) if need be
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare many thanks for your reply - it helps confirm most of my thoughts and makes me feel more confident in moving this issue foward. Thanks for your time and i will rate highly accordingly. Andy

HI
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well?