Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I changed my name by deed poll about a month ago but since

I changed my name by deed poll about a month ago but since then I have been arrested for a criminal offense (not related to the name change). I need to know if I will be charged under my new legal name and will the crown court call me by my new legal name or will they refer to me as formally known as (and use my birth name).
My name change was nothing to do with trying to evade prosecution but to lessen the damage to my immediate family members when I appear before a court and subsequent local paper news article.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

From the date you signed your Change of Name Deed, your name has legally changed. Therefore, you need to provide a copy to the Police, so they know your correct legal name. The CPS/Court are then obliged to issue proceedings in your correct name.

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I incorrectly stated that I have been arrested and that isn't true, I was invited for a voluntary interview but declined to answer questions.

When you mentioned that the CPS/Court are then obliged to issue proceedings in your correct name, am I correct in thinking that you are referring to my new Legal name and not my birth name.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I was indeed referring to your new legal name, not your birth name, when mentioning the CPS/Court.

Kind Regards

Al