75100385

on behalf of my nan (85) she has been renting the same proprty

Customer Question

on behalf of my nan (85) she has been renting the same proprty since 1984. i belive it to be an assured tennancy, not sure. speaking with the landlord (who has changed a number of times) she is guaranteed to live there until she dies. my question is does she have any right to buy at a discount...so i can buy it for her? her rent is now nearly more than her pension...
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you wtih this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether it is a private landlord or the Council?

JACUSTOMER-bbtmnbw2- : private
Alex Watts :

Its bad news then I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

If this was a Council or Housing Association tenancy there is a right to buy

Alex Watts :

But because this is a private landlord I am sorry to say there is no right to buy or even get a discount

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-bbtmnbw2- : how do i find out if it was a housing association, whats the diference?
Alex Watts :

Just ask the Landlord.

Alex Watts :

Housing Association is a public body

JACUSTOMER-bbtmnbw2- : ah ok.
Alex Watts :

For example Birmingham Housing Association rather than Bill Jones who is the Landlord

JACUSTOMER-bbtmnbw2- : thanks
Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-bbtmnbw2- : the landlord now is mountview, the landlord has changed hands a few times
Alex Watts :

Ok you need to ask and check

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-bbtmnbw2- : Do her or her family have any succession rights?
Alex Watts :

If there has been no previous succession and this is a regulated tenant (which it is) then yes you can

Alex Watts :

But you can only do this once.

Alex Watts :

If there is a joint tenancy and it is now single because a person has died, that counts as one succession

Alex Watts :

But you can succeed but only once.

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?