75100385

My neighbour has failed to bring up to standard a derelict

Customer Question

My neighbour has failed to bring up to standard a derelict property for over 5 years now and in local residents view the council has been negligent in not enforcing a section 215 of the town and country planning act against the owner. The amenity of the local area has been adversely effected by this derelict property and houses neighbouring the derelict property are not selling or renting due in part to the condition of this property. Would it be possible to take legal action against the council to force them to speed up the enforcement of a section 215 notice?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Have you complained to the Chief Officer yet please?

JACUSTOMER-ra3la2bh- :

No, I haven't. Would that be your recommended next step?

Alex Watts : I would first write to the Chief officer of the council and ask that department to investigate your complaint. They will do that and report back to you.
Alex Watts : if that does not resolve the matter then the next step is the local government ombusman. They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint at www.lgo.org.uk
Alex Watts : If they do not find for you then you can consider a judicial review. This is where the high court looks and the decision and sees whether the council have been legal and reasonable. The court can agree with the decision or remit it back to the council for further consdierstion
Alex Watts : these are the options
Alex Watts : extra information for free - try the chief officer and the ombusman first as those are no cost steps.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/