13262538

My mothers Will leaves her house equally between my

Customer Question

My mothers Will leaves her house equally between my sister and myself, my sister in my absence (I live in France) has obtained power of attorney and executorship of my mothers Will.
In the unfortunate event of my mothers passing my sister is adamant that she wants the house sold but I may like to keep it and pay her for her half but she refuses to discuss it and insists it is sold. Her reasoning is that I will then have an appreciating asset, what rights to I have in the overall situation
Clive
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

This will depend on the terms of the will. Very often when a property is left jointly to 2 or more beneficiaries it is left in a trust for sale. You will need to look at the terms of the will to see what the situation is. If you are willing and able to pay a market price for your sister's share of the property then there normally there would be no reason in principle why you should not do so.

JACUSTOMER-0oa0flj3- :

Not left in trust

Does your mother still have mental capacity and are you willing to discuss this with her?