Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Mother has just died I have the will (done by attey bower jones)some

Mother has just died I have the will (done by attey bower jones)some words not visible what can I do to get another copy now that the above have stopped trading.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Ideally, you do need to get hold of the original Will.

You therefore need to contact the SRA http://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page

and they will tell you which firm are holding Attey's Wills. Clients files and documents do not simply get destroyed when a firm goes out of business.

As regards ***** ***** etc, depending on what monies your Mother left, it may be necessary for you and your sister to obtain Probate.

Basically, if your Mother's Estate is under £10,000, most Banks will be happy to close the acoc**t and pay the monies to the next of kin/Executors, upon them signing a Declaration confirming they are entitled to the monies. In this regard, a copy of the Will won't be required, so the copy you have will not cause an issue.

However, if the Estate is over £10,000, Probate will be required, and this entails producing th eoriginal Will to the Probate Registry.

If for some reason the original Will can not be produced, the Probate Registry will accept a copy provided you provide a declaration confirming that the original has been lost and explaining the circumstances.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al