13262538

Good morning I have recently separated from my husband of

Customer Question

Good morning
I have recently separated from my husband of eleven years, no children. The house is in the name of a company that my husband owns, along with a further six properties that he lets out. I have no shares, my car is in the company name, no properties in my name. About five years ago I sold my own house that I had before I met my husband and gave him all the proceeds to help his failing business ie recession, approx £55000, also at this time we maxed out my credit cards to pay suppliers etc and a loan in my name which is approx £36000 in total. I have a agreement with the credit card companies and bank to pay back a very small amount each month due to defaulting on payments. I am currently renting a property and am on benefits. Please could you advise me of my rights financially, many thanks
How much is the equity in the various properties and how much is the Company worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare
Thanks for your swift response the properties are worth approx 1.7m there is a loan against them of approx 700k. Also I have worked for the properties firm for over ten years as properties manager, many thanks
How much are they each worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi do you mean the individual properties within the portfolio
Sue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok the breakdown is approx 200k, 200k, 250k, 150k, 100k, 350k, 350k, and 180k, our home is one of the 350k
Sue
Thank you and what income do you each have?
Is there a property you would like to live in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi well I was taking drawings of £150 a week and my husband takes whatever he wants from the profit, also I didn't pay for any household bills etc. There isn't really a property I would want as they are student houses, flats and one commercial property
Sue
How much would a one bedroom property in a reasonable area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi well there aren't many I bed houses, I wouldn't want a flat, so a small two bed in a good area would be approx 200k
Sue
How much is a one bedroom flat (the information is needed I am afraid)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok sorry Clare, a decent one bed in a decent area approx 150,000 thanks
Sue
Given the length of your relationship, the extent of the assets and your financial contribution you have a clear financial claim on your husband's assets - in this case his company.
It is likely that a mortgage free home (and a two bedroom one at that) is the minimum that the court woudl award although I woudl suspect £250,000 is achievable if all went well
You shoudl try and negotiate with your ex using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.org.uk
If your ex will not co-operate then you may need to issue divorce proceedings sooner rather than later
please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Clare thanks for that is there anything in the meantime that I need to do to protect myself? Also as we have no children am I able to claim any maintenance.
Sue
Maintenance is harder to assess as I have no clear idea of what his income is - but it is certainly a possibility.
The fact that the company owns the properties rather than your ex limits the protection that you can seek I am afraid
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare sorry just one more question with regards ***** ***** money that I gave my husband from the sale of my house and the 36k personal debt I have that was used for the business where do I stand with that, many thanks
Sue
I would expect the debt to be cleared as well as your receiving sufficient for a home.
The money from the house is part of what entitles you to the settlement