Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My Aunt has died leaving no will Has no children or Husband

My Aunt has died leaving no will Has no children or Husband Who is responsible for her funeral costs and outstanding debt
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

No-one is ever personally liable for any debt a person leaves. Normally, of course, there is sufficient monies in the Estate to clear any such debts/pay the funeral.

If there are not sufficient monies left by your Aunt to pay her debts, these debts "die with her" and the companies which are owed the monies would need to be notified that your Aunt left an insolvent Estate and they will then write off the debt.

As regards ***** ***** state assistance is available, but if the family did wish to pay for a full funeral, this of course would be best. If your Aunt did not leave a Will, her next of kin are her brothers/sisters, and either of them can deal with the funeral and deal with the debts.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply

My Aunt has no surviving brothers or sisters She has 4 nieces and 1 nephew are they responsible for her funeral costs?

Thanks for your reply.

As there are no surviving brothers or sisters, then the children of the brothers and sisters are seen as next of kin, and although they are not legally responsible for paying any debts of the Aunt, including the funeral costs, it would be normal that they paid for the funeral.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Al

Thank you for making this clear

Yours sincerely Peter

Hi Peter,

If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Aston

If we want help with the funeral who do we contact

Kind regards Peter

If Aunt was on a low income, here is the link-

https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/overview

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We do not want to pay for any funeral costs what happens next

Peter

Hi Peter,

Well, there would not be any funeral as such- The local authority or hospital trust will provide a Public Health Funeral. Once called a pauper's funeral, these do not have the same social stigma as perhaps they once had.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Aston

All of this makes me sound so uncaring I just wanted to have the absolute facts made clear to me before I make an informed decision You have been extremely helpful Thank you

Kind regards Peter

Thanks Peter.

All the best

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.