13262538

My wife is having panic attacks and has been kept in a "safe

My wife is having panic attacks and has been kept in a "safe place" for over a fortnight and the Social Services and IAPT Cheshire West and Chester are will not discuss where she is or how she is. My son is in contact with the IAPT and myself but this situation is satisfactory and unacceptable.
What can I do please? Colin Maddock
Has your son spoken to his mother?
Does your wife have Mental Capacity?
How old are you both?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My wife has normal mental capacity.

Margaret is 80 years old and I am 85

Doe this give you enough information

Colin

Do you have any reason to think that your wife is unhappy with the situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - my wife want's to come home and I am her registered full time carer We are both absoluteley fed up with the situation and I do not think that the actions of the Social Services in West Cheshire and Chester are within their duties, or even acting legally It is in the fourth week of our enforced separation, with no contact between my wife and myself ,or even being told where she is being kept - even though it is obvious, as I keep getting the bills from this nursing home! Regards Colin

What has your son been told about the situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son Stephen has had conversations with Social Services and a mental nurse from NHS IAPT and he has been told that Margaret is fit, mentally sound and is still being kept in for a few more days. There has been a meeting of all medical parties without any of our family and no minutes have been presented. I am still not allowed to see or contact my wife, and some peculiar things were said about a large amount of money being taken from our accounts and I was going to be given an medical examination - which I already have had with my local GP. Stephen told ***** *****, the nurse dealing with the case for the local IAPT, that he had to be very carefull with his comments as Stephen and myself were taking all this very seriously, and notes of every conversation were being taken. Stephen asked ***** ***** if Margaret had been sectioned or had I received a restraining order, and Mark said no to both. I have asked my own and Margaret's doctor to rrange a referral for a scan and ECG for myself, and the Scan is scheduled for today If you require any more information please let me know. .Best regards Colin

What actually happened when your wife was taken away?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Very early on that Thursday morning I was woken by hearing Margaret on the phone in an agistated state. This is due to having a panic attack - which are happening more frequently than in 2013 when they first started. I attempted to calm her down, but as usual she insisted on wanting to see a doctor, Due to the early hour she was referred to the OOH emergency team. As thiis was a frequent occurence they told her that the paramedics would come out but then they would offer to take her to A&E. She has gone several times in the past but refused on this occasion as it always involved a long wait in casualty only to be discharged 'not at risk' without treatment. I attempted to open her presciption blister pack but she struggled and knocked the pills on the pile carpet floor. THen two PC's arrived and Margaret told them she wanted to see a doctor. She told them she had rung 101 and refused to go to A&E. The two PC'S then asked abou relatives as she would not let me give her the prescriptive drugs and I could not find them anyway. The PC's said they would 'Take her to Northwich' then as the family had been through this situation before and explained that they had to go to work. I said that I was not able to look after her as she had knocked the blister pack from my hand and she obviously needed psychiatric help during these terrifying panic attacks. Later that day I rang the polce and they informed me that they could not discuss what had happened to Margaret . Later that afternoon ***** ***** the psychiatric nurse rang up and asked 'where are Margaret's pills ' ! said there were some left in the blister pack and I pick her pills for the following week on Monday. I asked him why he wanted to know and he said he could not discuss that wit me. I rang the secretary at the IAPT resource centre in Winsford but she would not discuss the case with me eithet. ***** ***** rang and told me he was coming to see me with a police officer and he arried with a WPC about tea time.The WPC told me that Margaret was 'safe' but that there was some suggestion that Margaret had ended up in A&E several times in the past and ***** ***** said I was violent and cruel with Margaret. As a footnote I have discovered that the reason Margaret has had no councelling for her panic attacks she was put on a file as a person at risk due to her husband's cruelty. If it were possible to ask a qualified psychiatrist to look into the case I am sure the truth would emerge. It was at this point that I asked ny doctor for a medical examination and any other information on my health. Hoping you can help Regards Colin

How do you know that your wife is asking to come home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son Stephen - now retired - is living in London but has taken our problems very seriously, and as he is allowed to ring the home and speak to Margaret, has passed on the hand written occount of all his conversations with the parties involved. He asked his mother how she was and she said she was comfortable but confused on why I had not contacted her and why she could not come home. The social services had told her that she was there for her own safety and I was having a comlete medical examination as a reult of a conversation with ***** ***** - IAPT nurse - who vaguely mentioned a large amount of money being taken from our estate, and my suspected violence towards Margaret. Stephen cautioned Mark at this time to be very accurate with these accusations as they did not sound very plausible. Stephen is a very sensible person and highle qualified and then he assured me that he is determined to 'make sure that common sense will prevail' and that he was closely monioring the situation. Our two other children have declared that they are confused about the turn of events, and feel helpless, but life goes on for them, Carol being emotionally under pressure due to current divorce proceedings, and Geof having no time while running his own business. Thank you very much for your opinions and advice, and if you need to speak to myself or Stephen, let me know. Best regards Colin

HI
Does anyone hold Power of Attorney for either of you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no powers of attorney

Colin

Has your son visited his mother?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire

No, Stephen has not visited his mother but is due to come up from London in a weeks time

I have discussed our e-mails with Stephen, and he is more than willing to give you first hand information on his conversations wirth everyone involved in this intollerable affair. I have now not been allowed to see my wife or even speak to her for nearly a month...Best regards Colin

The key here is that your son visits his mother and speaks to her directly about what she wants.
Whilst there he needs to get written confirmation from her doctor that your wife has Mental capacity - and he shoudl arrange for a solicitor to dee her to take instructions for her to sign a Lasting Power of Attorney to deal with Health and Welfare appointing your son as the Attorney.
Once this has been completed then your son will be able to make decisions about her Health and Welfare and insist on being involved in discussions regarding her care.
If for any reason that is not possible then this group may be able to assist
http://www.opaal.org.uk/
Please ask if you need further details