12826847

, Wonder if you can help me. I saw a motorhome

Hi, Wonder if you can help me. I saw a motorhome for sale on Friday Ads. Contacted seller who said they wanted to sell through ebay and paypal. Sent me a link to buy from a private listing supposedly on ebay with paypal protection. Apparently not! Received an email supposedly from Paypal verifying receipt of payment but have not received vehicle although payment was cleared on 6th March. Seller no longer seems to be responding. Checked to see if original internet ad is still running. It is. Emailed from a different account and surprise surprise received an email within the hour offering to sell the vehicle to me. I have the registration number shown in photo assuming it is their vehicle. What should I do now? Many thanks
You need to report this to the police. This is almost certainly a paypal scam. There are such operations.
It is to be hoped that the police can trace the person responsible and you could sue him independently of any criminal prosecution.
If they cannot then you are in difficulty. This is almost certainly not a receipt from paypal from what you say. It is a genuine paypal transaction then you just use their internal procedure.
If you had paid by visa then you would have had the protection of S75 CCA but I would imagine you did not from what you say sadly.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for that. Is it better to report it to the local police or online to Action Fraud ? I have also found that the ebay seller has other items listed on ebay and has been a top rated seller there since 2003. I don't understand

I would report it to the local police.
If it is all a mistake then the seller can explain.
It is possible that it is.
If not, it is possible that this is a person using his identity on a scam site.