I have two children aged 4 & 6, Joseph and Hettie; they were born through IVF and I am named on the birth certificate as the father (Matthew). My partner (Debbie) and I were not married and we are still not married. We have been living together for 11 years. The house in which we live is in my name, mortgage in my name and Debbie is not on the deeds. The children go to a local school and up until 2 days ago Debbie and I lived in the same property. Two days ago I explained the relationship had not been working for a number of years and whilst I still love Debbie I am not in love with her and we have grown apart; I have slept in the spare room for the best part of the last 5 years. As expected the conversation was not a nice one and there has been an argument and I was told to leave the family home, or Debbie would take the kids and move to her mothers and change their school etc. I want to keep the relationship as friends in the interest of the children and have no wish to hurt Debbie. I have no where else to live although at this time I have left with most of my personal possessions. It is important to me the kids are safe, secure and happy and I believe this to be the wish of my partner too; I believe this best to be served with Debbie and the kids remaining in the house; with my part time occupation in the spare room. Debbie has agreed that we have indeed lived a lie and she affirmed that we are both going to act in the best interests of the children and I can spend some time in the spare room. I pay all the house costs and give Debbie £1400 per month for food and to ensure the children are O-Kay. There is an outstanding Credit Card bill in her name of £7000. I also have credit card bills in excess of this amount. Debbie works voluntary and does not have a salary. My questions are:
1. Can she remove the children from the house and take them elsewhere to live, when there best interests are stability and the family home?
2. Can she refuse me access to the children (I have no criminal or any other convictions and I have not been abusive in anyway, with the exception of arguing but certainly not excessive) ?
3. What are my rights as the named father on the Birth Certificates?
4. If she were to move someone else in the house (in my name) can I refuse?
5. If she were to move someone in, male who was a wage earner what are my financial obligations?
6. If I want to move on in my life and meet someone else does it damage my rights?
7. Whilst I intend on paying the mortgage and all the house costs and give Debbie and the children £1400pm; what are my legal obligations?
8. What is the best course of action, in consideration that I do not want to make a bad situation worse?
9. Have a right to live in the house and demand the children stay there?
House is worth circa £200,000, mortgage £60,000
My income is varied.
Employed Income £25,000
Self employed £12,000
Probably get down to £150,000
Are you still happy to answer this for me?
I know you have probably been busy today, but please tell me if not so I know.
Researched the village, there is a 3 bedroom property £155,000