29905560

I have stayed in an expensive room in a central London hotel

Customer Question

I have stayed in an expensive room in a central London hotel and sue to some damages done during the stay I was asked to pay an extensive amount of penalty for the cost to repair the damage made to the room and also the fees when the suite is out of order and could not be rent out. The hotel send me detailed invoices for the costs of the repairs but I found a large amount of the washing/cleaning was unrelated to my damages and I think the repair could be done at a significantly lower cost. I would need legal advice to come to an agreement with them.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What specific advice do you need in order to come to an arrangement with them please?

JACUSTOMER-p8wb8dtv- :

In terms of what the hotel could do and what are my liabilities for the damages items

JACUSTOMER-p8wb8dtv- :

Since I was asked to pay a 1000 pounds per night for 3 nights when the room was under repair and I have no evidence whatsoever telling me the room would have been rented out otherwise, also they charged us extensive fees for dry-cleaning most of the fabrics such as the duvets and the curtains in the room but all I know is that I have only damaged a portion of them

JACUSTOMER-p8wb8dtv- :

Do they have the rights to just charge us all the fees for the cleanup which majority of them we think is not necessary from our damage?

JACUSTOMER-p8wb8dtv- :

After checking out the hotel also charged me 3750 pounds on my credit card that I used to gurantee the booking for the room without my consent, calling it the deposit for the repair works and said 3750 pounds was an estimate cost. Was that even legal? They asked me to sign the credit receipt during a meeting that evening and I did.

JACUSTOMER-p8wb8dtv- :

Yes so basically I just need general advice on what action I could take to minimize the penalty, anyone I could find.

Ben Jones :

The hotel is entitled to make all necessary repairs or replace damaged items at a reasonable cost to bring them back to their original condition. Any of these costs must arise as a result of your actions o you would only expect them to spend money on making good the damage you have caused. If you believe that cleaning and washing was done for reasons unrelated to your damage then you would not be liable. But there could be reasons why they have for example cleaned more items that were damaged, let’s say that if they only cleaned the items you damaged and that would have left them in a state which obviously differs from the rest (i.e. much cleaner and a different colour and as a result they had to clean the rest, that could be justified).

The repairs could be done at a reasonable cost – it is not about just choosing the cheapest quote but spending what is a reasonable amount in the circumstances. For example the hotel may have a contractor that works on their behalf and does all their repairs – they could be expected to use them if necessary. If you believe that the costs were highly excessive you can approach independent workmen that could do the same repairs and obtain a couple of different quotes to compare. You could then use these to challenge the hotel’s claimed costs.

Whilst you are able to raise all these arguments now and try to come to an agreement with them, you cannot force them to do so. They may have charged the repairs to your card and if you had agreed to do so they are entitled to do it. You need to check the booking agreement to see if the card was used as a guarantee for such issues as many hotels take a credit card to cover themselves for such incidents and they would have the authority to deduct the charges if necessary.

Ben Jones :

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you

JACUSTOMER-p8wb8dtv- :

what about the 1000 pounds charge for the nights the hotel room during repair? Are they entitled to charge us for that?

Ben Jones :

potentially yes but they need to justify that these are the rates that they would have charged for the room at the time had it been rented out and that the room was out of use for a reasonable time, no longer than to allow the hotel to make the necessary repairs.

Ben Jones :

Does this clarify things a bit more?

JACUSTOMER-p8wb8dtv- :

yes but they could not prove they could have rented the rooms?

JACUSTOMER-p8wb8dtv- :

as in what if the rooms would not have been rented at its normal state anyway?

Ben Jones :

you are unlikely to prove that the room would have been rented out fr definite but they would have taken it off the market for a few days so for them it is a likely loss - to challenge this you need to ask for details of bookings in the period and see if they were fully or nearly booked or if there were a number of other similar rooms free which could mean that they may not have rented it out anyway

Ben Jones :

Could you please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? It is important for us to know either way so we can track customer satisfaction or identify whether I need to help you further? Thanks