75100385

Have had a parking fine on the grounds ticket was not displayed

Customer Question

Have had a parking fine on the grounds ticket was not displayed correctly, I had inadvertently placed it face down ,but looking at the ticket all it says is display ticket , does not say which way up !
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether this was a Council issued penalty?

JACUSTOMER-79bejypq- : No, a private company
Alex Watts :

Ok, then in reality you can ignore the ticket. It is a private fine, there is nothing in law that says they can recover it. Indeed only the Council through the Traffic Management Act have lots of powers.

Alex Watts :

If you refuse to pay the fine then all they can do is try and issue a small claim against you. This would be problematic because:

Alex Watts :

1) there is no contract between you and them

Alex Watts :

2) they can't prove they have suffered a loss

Alex Watts :

3) they can't prove you agreed to their terms

Alex Watts :

4) even if they won a loss would be minimal

Alex Watts :

Indeed even worse they dont say which way up the ticket should be (although it would be obvious it should be printed version up)

JACUSTOMER-79bejypq- : The parking company have sent me a letter from a debt collection agency ,should I ignore that also?
Alex Watts :

So even if they took you to Court on the basis you didnt have a valid ticket - you actually did

Alex Watts :

Ignore everything

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-79bejypq- : So just ignore the letter from the debt collection agency? Or should I return it to them?
Alex Watts :

Just ignore it

JACUSTOMER-79bejypq- : Thank you.
Alex Watts :

Great, if this answers your question can I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/