LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

my property has a 'shared drive' beside my house, there

Customer Question

Hello my property has a 'shared drive' beside my house, there are four garages down that drive. On the only legal plan i have the entire drive appears to be part of my property but clearly there must be some rules about the use of the drive by the 3 other home owners. I can't find these rules anywhere in the documentation I have.
There is a parking space behind my house between my garden and my garage which one of my neighbours (new to the area) keeps using, this feels like an invasion of privacy as the land behind my garden is higher and they are peering into my garden and the back of my property when they park there.
It looks to me like that space was designed to be a parking space for my property as it's surrounded on 2 sides by my garden and one side by my garage. How can i find out what the
I've spoken to them about my concerns but they are unresponsive and basically just say it's tough.
How do i find out what the rules are for this area?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this question.

JACUSTOMER-o20zl7iq- :

Customer:

Your description of the arrangement is a little unclear but it sounds as though your neighbours may have an easement granting them a right of way over your drive to access their garages. When you purchased your property your solicitor should have advised you about this. If you still have these documents (especially anything like a solicitor's report on propertylyou shoudl look at this as it will contain the information you are after. Easements are usually set out in the title deeds held at the land registry and you can carry out searches on line to see if this is the case. https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/copies-of-deeds

Customer:

As far as the property at the rear you describe is there anything in writing to sat it is yours?

JACUSTOMER-o20zl7iq- :

There is a plan which says the entire area within a red line is part of the freehold of the property, this includes the whole drive area including the space behind my house. Would an Easement normally include the right to park on the property or just give access to the garage?

JACUSTOMER-o20zl7iq- :

I have downloaded the land registry documents but there is no mention of the rules for the drive is that not the full deeds?

Customer:

Easements usually appear on the title register. When did you purchase the property? Do you still have the documents from when you did move in? If not you may have to contact your old solicitors who should have kept the details.