12826847

there, I left my husband's wedding ring into a company for

Customer Question

Hi there, I left my husband's wedding ring into a company for cleaning and my eternity ring to clean and replace a diamond in Dec 2012!
We have been travelling since and I went back into the company to collect the rings and they cant seem to find them.
I have the receipts which don't mention if they are not collected within a certain length of time what would happen.
Where do I stand
Caroline
How long was this supposed to take?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About 2 weeks I would think, but they were to ring me with a quote for the cleaning and putting diamond in the ring, but they didn't call.

Did you contact them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Okay.
This is a difficult situation really. On the one hand they will and dastardly argue that this amounts to abandonment on your part. In fairness, these rings were left with them for a very long period of time and you cannot hide from that. That is particularly significant given the sentimental value that they would have.
On the other hand, they didn't make any efforts to contact you and these are not large items that would be taking up space on their premises.
I think realistically the court may be of the view that you were abandoned the items but what does operate very significantly in your favour is that they didn't make efforts to contact you. They are under a duty to take reasonable care of property in their possession and it is going to be very difficult for them to satisfy a court that it was not reasonable to expect them to phone you or write to you and ask you to collect them. Overall, that might well operate in your favour.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great thanks, ***** ***** it help that I have the receipts which show the value of the items

Only from the point of view of assessing the loss.
It doesn't help from the point of view of liability
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank for your help

Good luck and all the best.