12826847

I was married years and have been divorced

Customer Question

I was married for thirty years and have been divorced for sixteen years. I am now sixty six years of age it has been a struggle financially to keep a roof over my head I have always worked. Now my mortgage runs out in two years time I do not have the funds to cover the remaining amount that I owe the mortgage company mine is an interest only mortgage. My ex husband is now selling the house that we shared for eighteen years of our marriage.when we divorced I was told that I was not entitled to receive a settlement I really need funds now can I put in a claim to the court after all this to get some financial to pay off my mortgage it is eighty five thousand that I owe my mortgage company. The house that my husband is selling is on the market for two hundred and eighty five thousand pounds I don't even want half of that amount just enough to pay off my mortgage.
Why were you not entitled to a settlement at that time?
Have you remarried?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Clare, I was told by a solicitor that I was not entitled to a settlement, at the time so I did not try further as I could not afford too.

I have not remarried and I am not in a relationship!

I did not go to the court when my divorce was made final. I think that I could have made a claim then but was feeling very down at the time and felt that I wanted to put it all behind me.

Maureen

How was the house purchase funded and how much is it worth now?