Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My Grandson broke a door of glass I want it to get fix but

My Grandson broke a door of glass I want it to get fix but the glazier tells me that it is a none security glass the house is forty years old and it is not a security glass and say it is against the law to rent a house without security glass inside the house. I am prepared to pay for the glass and replace it with a security glass but it is not the same. Unfortunately there are another 5 panels of the similar (Not security glass ) glass do I have to replace the lot.
I am in a rented house
Thank you for your help.
G.Limet
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Has the glazier suggested that it is not possible to replace the single pane of glass please but is insisting that he replaces all of the glass or nothing at all?

Customer:

No the glazier just told me that it is against the the glazier have been very helpfull as I am renting I dont want to pay for the reminder of glass panel > Can the owner or their Agent sue me for that?

Joshua :

Customer:

Where is my answer?

Joshua :

the position in law is not quite as clear-cut as the glazier suggests. It is not true to say that it is against the law to rent a house without safety glass. The legal position is slightly more subtle than that. The starting point is that it is quite legal to rent a property that does not contain safety glass. New glass intallations - for example on an extension or fitting of a new glass door must comply with modern building regulation standards which does require toughened glass at anything up to 1500mm from floor level. Replacing glass in an existing frame however is not caught by building regulations and so can be replaced free of these regulations. However, glaziers may be unwilling to replace such class with non-toughened glass because of the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act which can make them liable for injury caused by it in the future.

Joshua :

Finally, notwithstanding all of the above, there is further legislation in the Housing Act which allows local authorities to designate non-safety glass which the local authority considers hazardous to be in breach of HHSRS regulations and require the landlord to replace the same.

Joshua :

So where does this leave you...

Joshua :

your responsibility as tenant would be to replace the glass if it was caused by a guest you have invited into the home. I note you accept this position in any event. you are not responsible for improving the landlord property nor are you responsible for ensuring the property complies with any of the above regulations. Accordingly, your options are either to find another glazing contractor who is prepared to fit nonsafety glass or a pane of glass which you consider to be a reasonable cost or alternatively to contact the landlord to explain the position and offered to contribute a fair proportion of the cost of a replacement pane of glass seeking a contribution from the landlord for the remainder to reflect "betterment" of is property.

Customer:

Can the owner or agent force me to replace the whole lot?

Joshua :

No law requires that a glazier replaces non broken panes of glass with safety glass as a glazier cannot be held responsible for panes he has not fitted. that said a glazier cannot be compelled to carry out work he does not wish to but it should not be difficult to find a glazier that will repace a single pane albeit he may reasonably insist on safety glass being used.

Joshua :

If the landlord is unwilling to cooperate or contribute, no doubt you will be keen to have the pane of glass replaced for security and insulation etc and so in this assumption, you may consider advising the landlord that you have little option but to proceed with the replacement for the above reasons but will be seeking a contribution in due course in respect of betterment to his property as discussed above. You could later seek to recover such monies either in the County Court or at a later date during any negotiations for the return of your damage deposit.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Joshua :

if you consider that any remaining glass could be hazardous, if the landlord is unwilling to assist, you can contact the local authority and asked them to carry out a HHSRS inspection to assess the property for hazards. If the council agree with your assessment, they have the power to order the landlord to improve the property to their specification. This is a slightly separate issue but maybe of use nevertheless

Joshua :

A pleasure - If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do not hesitate to revert to me

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though