29905560

Is there anything I can do if I have been seriously overcharged

Is there anything I can do if I have been seriously overcharged when buying art prints, I have obtained current valuations and can prove it and the company is still in business?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did they mislead you in any way, by giving you false information about the prints, the artist, quality, etc which made you think that the value was fair? Also did you purchase these as a private consumer or in the course of a business?

Customer:

I bought them as private consumer, but art work was transferred to storage and I am going to see them tomorrow. Does it mean that if the art work is as they said, but just overpriced, I cannot do anything?

Ben Jones :

If the art work was described accurately and you were not misled into thinking the value was higher than it actually was for these incorrect reasons then your rights will be rather limited. There is no requirement for the seller to price the artwork fairly – they can advertise it for whatever value they want and if someone is willing to buy it then that is their decision, No one has forced you to pay the price you paid and you voluntarily agreed to pay the price based on what you saw. If you had any doubts about the value of the works then you would have been expected to do your research before buying. If you agreed the price and paid it then you cannot later claim you believe it was overpriced, so long as the seller did not misled you into thinking you were paying a price for something which was not what was advertised.

As an example, I can try to sell a cheap poster that I bought for £5 from the internet for £10,000. Obviously it is well overpriced, but I have been honest with describing it, said exactly what it was and did not mislead the consumers into what they were actually buying. If someone agrees to pay the asking price then that is up to them and if they want to pay over the odds, then it is their decision. I have done my bit – advertised the item correctly and been honest with what they are buying. So as soon as they have purchased the item, the sale is complete and they cannot then come back to me saying they believe they paid over the odds for the item – they knew what they were buying and the prices they were asked to pay and if they had agreed to it, then that is the end of the matter.

There i nothing topping you from asking the seler to reconsider taking the items back and refunding you but that is up to them.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer:

Your system does not allow me to give a rating. It keeps telling me that the expert has not finished. I appreciate your frankness and give you a "good service"

Ben Jones :

sorry it should work

Ben Jones :

and thank you for the rating

Ben Jones :

All the best