75100385

there Since last speaking with you regarding this problem.

Customer Question

Hi there
Since last speaking with you regarding this problem. I have not sent a request to the court yet as we received a dated and signed letter by the vendor. Stating that he stood by what he said, we would only be refunded our money if he rebooks the property for the same value. That we could fiercely defend himself in a court of law and that he would claim for loss's for the entire cost of the initial hire of his venue. So £7995 he will claim for. I fairly sure he's off his rocker if he
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to view the first Question I sent on here last month. So you can update yourself with the situation? It will stored within my account here.

Are you able to see the conversation I had with Alex Watt's (the previous Expert).

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Sorry if I am missing the point but on what basis were you hoping to claim your money back?
Who has cancelled?
For what reason?
Giving how much notice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is all explained in the last conversation I had with Alex Watts.

It's explained pretty clearly in there. As Alex advised me on what to do from the details I explained.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The reason for cancellation is not set out as far as I can see I'm afraid.
Would it be possible to give me that information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Original conversation with previous expert below:

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this

Alex Watts : Did they confirm in writing no restrictions please ?

Customer:

This is the email I was provided with the booking.

Customer:

I was sent this email from the owner just before I decided to make the booking. Hi Libi,

Many thanks for your email.

Our price of £5490 includes 3 nights accommodation at Beaconside Country House and Cottages. The estate becomes yours for the whole weekend and is

completely private and exclusive with no restrictions.

It includes accommodation for between 40 -50 family and friends with use of all our facilities as featured on our website www.beaconsidehouse.co.uk including indoor and outdoor pools , hot tubs etc, for

the entire weekend.

You can be married in our lovely wedding gazebo within our walled garden or in Beaconside House .

We also have a silk lined marquee to hire if required. It seats up to 150 guests comfortably and includes wooden flooring and all tables and chairs etc. The price for hire is just £1850.

I would be more than happy to show you around Beaconside at a time convenient to you.

I am pleased to advise that the weekend of Friday 15th May 2015 is currently available.

Please feel free to ring or email if you require any further details.

With kind regards
Mark
www.beaconsidehouse.co.uk
01237 475118

Customer:

Can you let me know when you will be able to give me an answer on this?

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer:

Ok great thank you. Do you think I am entitled to my money back, if I do go to court? And also can I send this demand to him via email?

Customer:

Are you able to write out a template letter for me, that I can copy and paste and forward on to the venue manager?

Alex Watts :

I think you are entitled to your money back.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have seen that.
It does not contain the information that I have asked for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you see the original question I asked her?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
All I can is what is above which appears to be an email that you have received from them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For some reason my original question has been deleted which is annoying.

Ok. I will have to explain this again.

Back in October 2015 I booked a wedding venue( Beaconside House).

The venue is a house and on their website they state you can hire the whole estate exclusively with no restrictions for the whole weekend.

So I booked the venue thinking there were no restrictions in place. As for the type of wedding I'm having, this is what I needed.

I paid a £2.5k deposit back in October, the full amount was due at the end of March.

But upon doing a site visit to the venue, it came to light that there were actually restrictions in place, which was the amount of people you could have onsite at anyone time. Which was 200. This had not been mentioned before. I was also then informed I had to include my staff hired for the weekend within this number.

I have a famous band coming to play as well, and he then said if I wanted the band to play outside I would have to apply for a concert license, and then subsequently told I couldn't do this, as it might end up in the owner having his wedding license revoked. (because of previous complaints he has had due to noise problems, which we were obviously unaware of).

So I was then put in the position where I was going to have to un-invite guests invited to the evening reception. As well as others guests that were invited to the whole affair. And because I couldn't have the band play outside, I was going to have to hire another Marquee for the band to play in.

It all became very stressful, and if the owner had told me there were actually restrictions at the venue before the time of booking, I would certainly NOT have booked his venue.

It has become so problematic that I had to cancel my booking with him and find another venue.

From this, you can see what Alex Watts has advised me, and that she thinks I am entitled to a refund, as he did confirm the booking stating ' There are no restrictions'.

Does that explain the situation?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Before you booked, did that actually assert that there were no restrictions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before we go any further with this. You seem to be digressing back in to what Alex Watts has already advised me on.

If you are going to say something different to her. I will have to query as to why she advised me with something very different to the impression you are giving me?

In answer to your question.

I did not ask him about restrictions before booking the venue. Because in his email he sent to me before making the booking. Which is posted above this message

He wrote 'The estate becomes yours for the whole weekend and is completely private and exclusive with no restrictions'

I therefore took him literally on this and took it there were no restrictions on the place.

I have since booked another venue, which advertises in exactly the same manner as Beaconsidehouse. And the new venue also advertises ' No restrictions, completely private etc' on their website. And when I asked this venue are there any restrictions on numbers, he said 'No you can do what you want, that's why we have No Restrictions advertised on our website'.

I have also been advised since dealing with Beaconside, that I didn't need a concert license to play outside. You can actually apply for holding a one off event, which involves filling out a 1 page document costing £20. This covers you for up to 500 people.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't want to comment upon the answer of anybody else.
However, I am keen to consider your position properly.
Please forget about what was on the booking form. It is a non issue.
Before that time, did he say anything that made you think it was restriction free? It doesn't need to be set down in writing but was there anything said or done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found the venue through the internet and emailed him about the property. We did not speak on the phone, he just answered my queries via email.

After asking several questions, he sent me the email below. Stating;

Many thanks for your email.

the entire weekend.

With kind regards
Mark
www.beaconsidehouse.co.uk
01237 475118

It was this email, that made me think there were 'No restrictions' because that's what he has wrote.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, there are clear restrictions upon the numbers.
Is the issue that it is not private?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean there are clear restrictions upon the numbers?

There are no restrictions on numbers.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
He says
It includes accommodation for between 40 -50 family and friends with use of all our facilities as featured on our website www.beaconsidehouse.co.uk including indoor and outdoor pools , hot tubs etc, ....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible for me to carry on this query with Alex Watts. I originally started my query with her and she has given me a completely different response to you.

The problem is not to do with the accommodation. I don't feel you understand the problem. Is Alex Watts still working for Justanswer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Having just googled just answer.com

(wish I had done before I asked Alex watts a question in February) I can now see that this website it fraudulent.

I will be complaining and expecting a full refund. And reporting this website for suspicious activity

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you
Have you requested me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex

I have spoken to you before back in February about a legal issue. Today I have been speaking to another expert on here, who seems to be giving me completely different advice.

Can you see the chat log above?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are not saying there are restrictions. They are just saying what the venue can provide.
WHat is it you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you remember what you advised me last time?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I do and my answer remains.
How is it I can help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already sent you a follow up question on here. Can you not see it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why are you taking to long to respond to my questions?

I am seriously starting to think this website is a scam.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
This website is genuine.
I can not see your follow up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Follow up below;

Hi there

Since last speaking with you regarding this problem. I have not sent a request to the court yet as we received a dated and signed letter by the vendor. Stating that he stood by what he said, we would only be refunded our money if he rebooks the property for the same value. That we could fiercely defend himself in a court of law and that he would claim for loss's for the entire cost of the initial hire of his venue. So £7995 he will claim for. Can he even claim for that?

It sounds crazy to me.

Since receiving your advice last time, I did send him a letter demanding the deposit back or I would take court action, but I received that letter from him. I obviously don't want to end up in court having to pay £7995 to him. So before I issue him with a court letter, that you advised me to do last time.

I want to make sure this is the right thing to do. Am I at all liable for the bill of the whole weekend we booked and then cancelled?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
As we discussed if there were no restrictions or cancellation then you are not liable.
Litigation is always a risk, no lawyer will tell you that there is more than a 60% chance of success, because solid cases can fail.
It really depends on the Judge. But I think what you are saying is valid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by saying ' if there were no restrictions or cancellations'?

I'm referring to what you mean by no cancellation?

Can I ask exactly what solicitor qualifications you hold ?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I am a Solicitor of England and Wales. There is only one qualification within England & Wales for Solicitors.
We have discussed the restrictions issue.
If there was no cancellation clause then you can cancel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am slightly concerned as that Barrister Jo C who followed up on your original answer to my question, seemed to give a totally different response to you.

She said to me that the booking form where he wrote ' No restrictions' meant nothing????

What is that about?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Jo is a criminal Barrister.
I am a civil litigation lawyer.
The terms are express in the contract, that means they form part of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You just said you were a solicitor of England & Wales before that message.

Exactly what Law qualifications have you gained to become a solicitor or civil litigation lawyer?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Law Degree, Legal Practice Course then training contract.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, when I originally asked you my original question back in February. I only agreed to pay Fifty odd pounds.

Why is it saying £156 against that question. Is that how much you have charged me. As that is not what I agreed to pay for this service.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sadly I have no access to billing, I can only see questions.
If you have any questions in that regard might I ask you to contact customer services?