12826847

At a recent speed awareness course the tutor stated that insurance

Customer Question

At a recent speed awareness course the tutor stated that insurance companies are now no longer allowed to ask if a person has been on a speed awareness course.Assuming this is correct do I still need to inform my insurance company that I have done the course?
Regards.
Ray.
If you are asked directly then you do need to inform them. Failing to do so would be a relevant non disclosure.
Insurance companies are very definitely free to ask if a person has been on a speed awareness course. It is an improvement upon a conviction but they are entitled to ask about instances of speeding whatever the disposal.
Some companies do have a policy of not increasing the premiums for this reason but that is the extent of the benefit.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am confused now as your answer contradicts what the course tutor said and he did seem very knowledgeable,he did say that this is a very recent decision from an English court.

It might have been helpful if he had given you the judgment. I cannot imagine why the Court of Appeal would even be considering that issue. They do not regulate insurers unless, of course, they breach the law but then you would need to show breach of contract or criminal offences or departure from a statute.

You could always email him and ask him to specify.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks,but still a bit in the dark,was hoping for a more definite reply.

Ok.
Best of luck.
If you want to come back when he has responded then we can look at this again.
I am always happy to read judgments but I cannot see any legal basis for them to even consider this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jo.

I don't need any more information but felt I had to mention that I found a more conclusive answer to my query on mums net of all places.If you should check this out I would appreciate any feedback.

Regards.

Ray.

If you give me the link I will look at it.
It would be interesting to see if there is a judgment and if it is accurate. I cannot immediately see why they would be looking at that issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again.

A better answer that backs up the netmums site, is forums. overclockers.co.uk

Ray.

That takes me to a generic site?