75100385

there can I do teeth whitening if the product is 0.1%

Customer Question

Hi there can I do teeth whitening if the product is 0.1% hydrogen peroxide and I get the person to do it there self
Thanks Lisa
Alex Watts :

Hello Lisa my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

What is your involvement then Lisa if the person applies the product themself?

JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : I will turn up at there house with my lamp and the products
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : they will put the products on there teeth I will just be renting the equipment
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : but when I look on the internet it says any one that goes to do teeth whitening is illegal but I won't but putting my hand near there month.
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : I just oust want to make sure that I am ok because some places say as long as you don't use 0.1% peroxide
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : the GDC want to try and stop the cosmetic teeth whitening
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : I'm confused
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : please help
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : thanks lisa
Alex Watts :

On 31 October 2012, the EU Council Directive 2011/84/EU (amending EU Council Directive 76/768/EEC) came into force in the UK. It sets out who can use what strength of product when carrying out tooth whitening. In the UK, the changes were brought into force by the European Communities (Cosmetic Products) Regulations 2004 to 2013.

Alex Watts :

Products that contain over 0.1 per cent hydrogen peroxide can legally only be sold to a dentist.

Alex Watts :

The General Dental Council takes the view that applying materials and carrying out procedures designed to improve the aesthetic appearance of the teeth amounts to 'the practice of dentistry'. This was recently confirmed by the High Court when it overturned a magistrates court’s decision to acquit Ms Lorna Jamous of the offences of practising dentistry and unlawfully carrying on the business of dentistry when not registered by the GDC.

Alex Watts :

So if you are carrying out a procedure, which it seems like you are even by using the lamp and supplying the products, you are carrying out dentistry.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : Hi there
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : Lisa here,
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : please se can you tell me if it's ok for me to do this. I will be renting out my light so to speak
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : can I go ahead
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : thanks lisa
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : If I don't touch there mouth and they do it there self I can go ahead because I am not actingikr a dentis. I am clearing hireing my equipment
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : Hi again
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : I was looking at the law and facts and seem ok
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : as long as I don't touch them
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : The House of Lords seem to say as long as it's 0.1% it's ok
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : its cosmetic
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : Lisa
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : I can and so can anyone buy that from your local boots it has 0.1 %
JACUSTOMER-p1sptb2u- : this is is not making sense
Alex Watts :

There is a real risk you will be prosecuted.

Alex Watts :

I do not think you should do it, as you leave yourself open.

Alex Watts :

Yes anyone can buy 0.1%. But you can not TREAT anyone.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/