Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I am a 51 year old widow. My late husband was a Civil Servant

Customer Question

I am a 51 year old widow. My late husband was a Civil Servant with the Ordnance survey, he took early retirement in 1986. In 1997 he reached 65 and then received his civil service pension.
We married in 1990, he was receiving £1000 monthly pension at the time of his death. I am told I am only entitled to £115 a month. I am desperate to find out why. I am still responsible for our daughter who is in full time education.
Can you help or advise a direction to find out answers. The CSP who now have taken over the pension are of little assistance. And merely sent me un-proven formulas as to how my pension has been calculated. When my husband was alive, he struggled to get answers. Many letters went unanswered.
Expert:  Joshua replied 1 year ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if the pension administrator has confirmed to you which pension scheme within the cicil service pension portfolio your husband was a member of please? If so do you agree their information?

JACUSTOMER-g62vk4ch- :

JACUSTOMER-g62vk4ch- :

The pension scheme has been handed from one administrator to another over the years. The Pension is at present by My CSP, which is a mutual venture set up between Central Government, the private sector Equiniti and My CSP. My husband had 40 years reckonable service in the Civil Service, taking early retirement in 1988. With a lump sum which had Widows Pension amounts deducted. In 1990 we married. In the year of his death 2010, I was informed my portion of widows pension would be, not the half as per the booklet supplied to my husband on retirement, along with copious figures and calculations, but 1/160th with service only counting from 1978 to 1988. Reduced as I was the second wife, whom he married post retirement. Although my husband queried this, as he made contributions to Widows Pension, not to a specific wife! No real answers were forthcoming. I believe the pension is ''Classic''. As he was the chief income earner in receipt of £1000 monthly and I now have a meagre portion, some £25 per week, I believe this is unfair, discrimination against a second wife. I have asked copious questions of CSP but merely received the formula 1978 to 1988 service, 1/160th. In 1988 the Ordnance Survey wrote to Mr Ballantyne's solicitor, at my husband's ex wife's request, asking what widows pension would be in place following divorce). The reply was ''The widows pension payable in the event of Mr Ballantyne's death is £2800 pa. The widows pension is only payable to his wife at the time of his death, not to a former spouse.'' ''This pension increases yearly in line with retail price index.'' If that was the sum payable in 1988, why am I paid £115 monthly some 27 years later. I trust this information gives a brief insight into my case.

Joshua :

Thank you for the above. I am out of the country until Wednesday morning. Are you comfortable waiting until I return Wednesday morning? Alternatively I can opt out in the hope one of my colleagues may be able to assist sooner. My apologies for the delay. Would you let me know your preference?

JACUSTOMER-g62vk4ch- :

JACUSTOMER-g62vk4ch- :

Hi, I am happy to wait for your return, please contact me then.

Joshua :

My apologies for the delay in reverting to you.

Joshua :

May I continue to assist yu with the above? I am around all day today and generally for the rest of the week.