Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

i signed a contract solar panels yesterday

i signed a contract for installation solar panels yesterday 20 03 15. i have aiso have a pre-contract credit information form. i have signed a cheque for 100 pounds. what are my rights cancelling the contract, and going about it kind regards
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, i will assist you with this.
Could you please provide me some further information about the circumstances - where did you sign the contract? Why do you wish to cancel? What is the value of the contract? We're the terms and conditions explained to you? Any further information you think may be helpful in order that I can advise you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i signed the contact at home.value of contract 9.7999 plus interest 5.420 total 15.354 i wish to cancel since i found i could purchase else where for half the price.

Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nigel
Thanks for the information, were you given the information from the salesperson about your right to cancel the contract in writing and had this explained to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Ok, regardless of whether he did or didn't explain the cooling off period, he should have and in fact if the company were acting in accordance with the Renewable Energy Consumer Code then they should have.
Nevertheless, there is a lot of protection under legislation for consumers who purchase services or products via salesman visiting their home. The transaction is said to have taken place at a distance, i.e. away from their place of business and therefore you have a cooling off period before the contract is binding.
The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 ("Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013") provide a 14 day cooling off period during which you can cancel for any reason without penalty (i.e. they cannot retain your deposit).
I would suggest that you write to the company - send the letter by email, fax and post (registered) to avoid any possibility of them refusing service by any other method i.e. email or fax. Keep a record of your correspondence.
Essentially the letter should explain:
1. The date the salesperson attended your house and explain that during the visit you signed a contract to purchase and install solar panels - give any reference or details you have;
2. You have now decided that you do not want the product.
3. That whilst it was not explained to you, you understand that the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 provide for a 14-day cooling-off period, during which consumers have the right to cancel contracts made in a consumer’s home. Therefore state: "I am hereby giving notice that I am exercising my right under the Regulations to cancel my contract with you."
4. That under the terms of the contract you paid a deposit of £100.00 and therefore you request your deposit be returned within seven days.
I hope this assists, if you have any further questions please ask.