12826847

, we are leaseholders ans the neighbour below us is a

Customer Question

Hi, we are leaseholders ans the neighbour below us is a tenant. We had a flood in our flat due to the water softener connected to the main wter supply. It just snapped in the middle of the night while we were sleeping. The neighbour below banged swearing at the door. We were shocked when we saw the water everywhwere except in the main room. We have tiles in most rooms but not in bedroom. My husband shut the water supply straight away and we fixed the problem the next few days, we have lovely neighbours who offered their help. I contacted the estate manager to ask how was the neigbour, of course not happy and I understand that. I asked what was going to happen insurance wise. She said that he didn t have a home insurance. She also saw that it was an accident and it wasn't caused by negligence. 2 days later he knocked on our door while we were at work and left his wet carpet outside our door. We remove the carpet by the stairs but the next day he put the carpet back outside the door while we were at work. My son called the estate manager who told the neighbour to remove the carpet. So he did. But yesterday he sent us a letter asking for nearly 3000£ and that he will take us to county court if we don't pay. I called my insurance who will contact me again in the next few days. The insurer told me to send him a letter saying that I have talked to m insurer and that I will get back to him in the next few days . I haven t write it yet, the insurer told me that the liability team will call me in the next 5 days. Under the building insurance {I  believe}, the council will undertake the deco and  electricity repairs of his flat.

He wants us to pay for

his carpet 15m2 £1200,

tv £300

mattress £240,

feather duvet £49

Electricity bills for using humidifier and gas for central heating £20

washing of stained bed linen and towels in his storage cupboard

4 X machine £20

4 X drying £10

soap powder £3.00

Wall paint £65

Nominal sum compensation for distress and loss of home facilities £1000

We haven t been negligent but if he goes ahead with the county court and wins his case, can he have what he is claiming for?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I can wait for another 2 or 3 days.

Frederique

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI

I will ask for a refund if I haven't got an answer by Friday.

Thank you for trying