UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Any intellectual property solictors?

Any intellectual property solicitors?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
What is your query please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi my question is with regards ***** ***** celebrity pictures if I've paid for the royalty fees. I would like to use a picture of Kate Middleton, she's wearing a pair of earrings that inspired (it's not the actual brand or earrings) and so it's a picture conveying the message 'yeah like that'.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi do I assume you are still working on my question?

You may use the photograph if you have the consent of the copyright owner to use it and you have paid the royalty fees asked.

I would suggest that you check with the copyright owner before using the photograph, just to be on the safe side.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. But I'm also concerned regarding the Kate Middleton factor. Do I not need to ask her consent?

Many thanks in advance.

No, you do not need to seek her consent as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Under which circumstances in selling my earrings would I need the consent of the actual celebrity as I would like to be fully aware?

Many thanks in advance.

If you are using the photo of the celebrity to endorse your products you would require their consent. However, if you are simply using a photograph of the celebrity wearing earrings and there is no endorsement of the earrings by the celebrity, then you only require the consent of the copyright owner.

Hope this clarifies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I believe this clarifies this particular case. I don't know the details or brand of the earrings she's wearing - I'm just promoting our brand showing the similarity with her style, and as such, I believe based on what you have explained that I only need the consent of the copyright owner.

Many thanks again.

Happy to have been of help.

All the best