Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

, I bought a plumber course, I signed a £ 5,770.00 contract.

Customer Question

Hi, I bought a plumber course, I signed a £ 5,770.00 contract. Seller told me that if I gave up not have problem. my conditions changed, I decided not to take the course. Simply canceled the debit, after some time, a financial called me saying that I would have to pay I explained that was not taking the course they told me that they had not anything to it that the money had already been passed on to the school and I would have to pay, I told them I would not be able to honor 42 payments of £ 135.00 then they told me to pay £ 50.00 and I've been paying it since 2010.
I have to keep paying it if I did not used?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is***** and I will assist you.
How much have you paid to date? Did you sign any terms and conditions with them?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I paid up now around £2000, yes I did sign a contract with Career Development Finance Ltd. The school name is ***** ***** Trade Skills.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Did the contract say anywhere that you could serve notice and cancel it?
Did you do any of the course, or simply cancel before showing up?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes there is a notice were it said you have short time to cancel, but I have not write to then because when they call me 2 years a go they said to me it was over, then I just keep pay £50.00 every month since.

I haven't done any part of the course!!!!

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Technically they are just taking money from you for cancelling the course. On this basis what I suggest you do is write to them as follows:
- Say that you have paid them almost £2000 in the last 5 years;
- It has become evident now that these payments are clearly nothing more than a penalty against you for terminating the contract;
- You cancellation of the course did not result in a loss of over £5k to the company;
- Say to them you will make one more payment of £50 as a gesture of goodwill (optional) - at which point you will not be making any further payments for a service you have never received;
- Say that if they chase for any payment you reserve the right to complain to Trading Standards www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/
- Say that as this is clearly a penalty for termination, any court would view this penalty as an unenforceable penalty clause.
I would note that this is obviously going to create some friction with the company. If they choose to leave you be then great, but if they make a county court claim that is entirely their prerogative. If they do make such a claim I would suggest you defend and make the complaint to Trading Standards.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ