29905560

As a consultant English company, I am being sent to

As a consultant for an English company, I am being sent to work for a client for 2 years, Monday to Friday. It is 2h30 from my place and no really the dreamed life (my husband stays in London). Hotel and travel are paid, but I don't get any other compensation, is this normal ? Also, is it possible to refuse to be send that far for so long without risking loosing my job ?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What does your contract say about this?
Customer:

Hi Ben

Customer:

Thanks for your help

Customer:

I just fetched my contract

Customer:

it says "require you to engage in reasonable business travel"

Ben Jones :

Hi sorry my connection dropped earlier. How long have you been there for and I presume you are a self employed rather than an employee?

Customer:

Hi Ben

Customer:

I am an employee

Customer:

I have been working for them for 4 years, being sent away most of the time

Customer:

But this new client is just farer, and I am expected to be there for 2 years

Customer:

My question is more general

Customer:

Is there any law setting a minimal compensation in this kind of case, or another law garanteeing me I will not risk my job if I start complaining

Ben Jones :

Generally you will be bound by the terms of your contract and the employer can only ask you to do whatever is stated in there. In your case there is a clause which states that reasonably travel may be expected but this is not specified and it would depend on what your circumstances are and what could be expected of someone in your position. 2.5 h travel full time for 2 years is pushing the limits somewhat – for example you may have been expected to undertake such travel from time to time when visiting clients but expecting you to do this more or less permanently may make it unreasonable. The issue with refusing this is that you may get into a dispute with the employer – they could maintain it is a reasonable request, you would be disagreeing. They could try to discipline you for failing to follow a reasonable instruction, up to and including dismissal – no one can stop them from doing so, but you can challenge it if it happens. For example you can make an unfair dismissal claim in the employment tribunal if needed.

In terms of additional compensation for traveling that far, it would depend on what your normal place of work is. If that is stated as a local office, then if you are required to travel further away you would expect to be paid for that time. But it would only involve the commute, so once you are there you cannot expect anything else on top. So the laws are not that strong in this case to give you something in black and white which would give you total protection.

Customer:

Thank you very much Ben, your answer is very helpfull

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome and sorry for the earlier delay